We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 174
Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

We will be taking a train from Prague to Budapest in November. Our train will be passing Slovakia on the way (no train changes, just stops) and someone told us that we are required to show a slovakian visa even just for a train stop (?).

Our nationality requires us to get schengen visas as well as Czech and Hungarian ones. That is not a problem, it's getting the slovakian one because I don't believe there is a slovakian consulate in our country and I don't understand why it is required just for a train stop. We had taken a train from Italy to France 2 years ago via Switzerland (Switzerland was still not part of schengen at the time) and we were never required to get a Swiss visa because it was just a train stop.

Can anyone shed some light into this dillemma? Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
1. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

It appears the is a slovenkian consulate in the US...in DC, New York City and L.A. Here is a link to their web site which includes phone numbers and addresses for you to contact them.

http://www.slovakembassy-us.org/

This website also may be of interest

www.foreign.gov.sk

It appears transit visas are necessary even in the event of an airport transfer.

California
2. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

Thanks cp!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
3. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

Slovenia is NOT Slovakia, despite Bush's ignorance on the matter. Check again.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
4. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

The following website may answer your question. slovakiatravels.com/sections/passport-en.php

I don't know what nationality you are, but there are a lot that do not require visas for passing through.

Hope this helps.

California
5. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

thanks oddone! totally helpful!

NY
6. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

i'm thinking about planning a trip in the Fall to Prague and Budapest as well. What train are you taking? Do the same visa requirements apply for US citizens?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
7. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

Dear OCD1,

If you are a US citizen, then it appears that you do not need a visa to pass through. Check the earlier web-site, or the following one.

http://www.slovakia.com/visas/

One says 30 days and the other 90. But, if you are just passing through, that shouldn't be a problem. The e-mail of the Slovakian Embassy in Washington DC is given on the latter one. You might ask them.

Linz
reviews: 7
8. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

Since all three countries are part of the EU, you won't need a visa as US-american citizen, don't worry.

Nutley, New Jersey
reviews: 3
9. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

Just to confirm what you've already heard.... We (US citizens) just got back from vacation, and took the train from Prague to Budapest (Euro-rail? If so, spend the extra couple of bucks for 1st class, it's way worth it!). We did not need visas, only needed to show our Passports on two different stops along the way. As we approached Budapest, tour-group reps. approached everyone on the train to answer tourist questions, sold tour packages, etc. We probably paid a bit more than we would have if we had waited and compared companies, but it was just easier to have it done and done before we got there.

Make sure you take advantage of the view from the train. Watching the countryside roll-by was such a great passtime, I'm glad I skipped the nap.

Enjoy!!!!

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 2
10. Re: Visa Required in Border Crossings By Train?

We too just came back from vacation and had taken the train from Prague to Vienna and Vienna to Budapest. As US citizens, we only needed to show our passports. We went 2nd class and feel strongly 1st class is a waste of money. No difference at all! However, I would advise you to make seat reservations! The trains were absolutely packed: standing room only!