We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 87
Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Thought I would share this news as seen today as reported by MTI....I have not seen anything about the taxi fare INTO the city.....stay tuned.....

By: MTI

2013-08-27 11:29

Passengers chosing to take a taxi to Budapest's Liszt Ferenc International Airport will be charged nearly twice as much under a new decree on tariffs taking effect on September 1, business daily Vilaggazdasag reported on Tuesday.

The decree was designed to introduce uniform taxi fares for the city with a higher per kilometre price and eliminating a special benefit for trips to the airport.

The change will bring the current fare of about 5,000 forints (17 euros) to 8,000-9,000 forints (27-30 euros), the paper said.

http://www.caboodle.hu/nc/news/news_archive/single_page/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=10022

Jeremy

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
reviews: 189
1. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

hmmm

is this the best way to attract tourism?

will this affect FO or all the taxis?

they do stuff like this in the uk,

I live 2 miles from Luton airport and it costs me £10 for a cab home

for 2 miles normally it is £3.50

tony

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
2. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

On the whole, it seems to be good news: Taxis will have to be painted yellow, have a meter and an availability light on their roof, and charge a standard rate on the meter. It has potential to clean up the problems at the train station. But it will cause some degree of transition stress at the airport, where the official company pays a significant charge per trip to the airport management in exchange for that official status. The new official rate raises questions about, first, whether the airport-to-city fare can remain a fixed flat rate or whether, instead, it will have to go by the meter; and, second, if it is the new metered rate, which is higher, then who will benefit from the increase? Drivers had demonstrated recently against Fo Taxi's effort to charge them more to belong to Fo. Now it may be difficult for Fo to maintain an edge against airport competition.

When the dust settles, though, it seems likely to be a step in the right direction of greater oversight over taxi rates.

Budapest, Hungary
3. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Hello, thanks Jeremy for posting, was about to do the same, but spotted yours.

The change is for all the taxi ride prices in Budapest, not only for transfers, or for specific companies (Tony, not only for Fotaxi / FO), for the dozens of other taxi companies.

On the bright side, as John says, it is good to have something standard: flat prices for day and night fare for ALL taxi rides, flat price for waiting time, initial time for all taxis. And not only flat price, but fixed flat price in overall Budapest. On the other side, it will be a big increase, at least hopefully encouraging using public transport (not the best option from the airport, admittedly).

From September 1, 2013, all taxis in Budapest must comply with the following rates:

Basic Taxi price: HUF 450

Price per Km: HUF 280

Waiting time per minute: HUF 70

This means there is no fix airport transfer price or zone price as previously, only an estimated airport transfer price depending on the exact address you are heading to. The actual price at the end of the taxi ride may differ from the estimated price given by the taxi driver.

The standardization will cease / nullify contractual agreements and discount taxi rates for regular buyers, like corporate clients. No matter how often they use taxis, they will have to pay the same fixed price as detailed above.

More info: index.hu/gazdasag/…

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
4. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Will this make any change to the prices of the airport minibus? If not, then the minibus certainly becomes more economical than a taxi for two or probably three people. if so, ay idea when thatat would be announced?

Budapest, Hungary
5. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Hello Oddone,

You made me curious, so I actually called the Minibus (if you mean the Airport Shuttle, that is), and the guy on the phone said that they had been told that the Airport Shuttle would be exempt from the new regulation as their pricing system is not km based (as in the case of taxi companies). So the price packages on the website will probably remain in use. He did not sound 100% confident when I specifically asked him if it means that they are exempt, so it is best to check their prices after September 1 over the phone again.

Los Angeles
reviews: 44
6. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

I am arriving to Keleti train station on Sept 24 and going to Havas Utca. How much a Taxi should charge me with this new pricing. I hope I do not have to negotiate.

Budapest, Hungary
7. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

In reaction to the OP:

"The change will bring the current fare of about 5,000 forints (17 euros) to 8,000-9,000 forints (27-30 euros), the paper said."

The paper made its estimate about a transfer from district III (which is the farthest from the airport) to Ferihegy. From other districts this price will be less - in the case of the districts neighbouring the airport maybe even less than the original fixed rate.

Budapest, Hungary
8. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Dear sw425b,

The whole point of this new system is that you don't have to / can't negotiate as the prices will be the same for every licensed company.

I've made an estimate for you:

Havas utca (in district V) is approximately 3 km from Keleti train station. You'll have to pay the basic 450 HUF, the 3x280 HUF for the distance and probably a few times 70 HUF for the waiting (this depends on the traffic situation). All together it will be around 1500 HUF.

San Jose, California
9. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

Hi, I just saw this thread about change in taxi fares.

I emailed Fotaxi yesterday about taxi fare from Intercontinental to airport for mid-Sept. They quoted me 6500 Ft. Should I believe them? Would they be able to raise that since new fares go into effect Sept 1?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
10. Re: Taxi Fares to Airport Rising Beginning 1 September.....

That's about what the fare should be -- and it shouldn't matter what taxi company you use. With substantial traffic it could be higher because of waiting time, but again it would be the same in any taxi.

As nbcee notes, the fares are now distance based and 6000-7000 to the city center (which is where the IC is) should be about right.