We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

Hello,

I am going to be taking a train from Budapest Keleti Station to Prague. I will be starting in Szeged and all the trains seem to arrive at Budapest Nyugati Station, except for the ones that require multiple changes and a much longer ride. When I look on the Mav-Start website and put in the specific station it seems that we can go directly to Keleti Station, but there are no times listed as to when it gets there and it's making me nervous! What is the best way to get from Nyugati to Keleti. There will be two of us with luggage.

Thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
1. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

How much luggage? Too much for public transit? Then a taxi is your option. Call FoTaxi or City to pick you up. It shouldn't take anymore than about 10 minutes to transit.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations
reviews: 162
2. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

Hello dhizzo

If you do not have a bunch of luggage you could certainly take a bus otherwise yes calling a cab will be the way to go.

DO NOT just grab a cab that is waiting at the curbside, you will be charged a small fortune. You should either pre-arrange for one to meet you which may be a slight more expensive than just calling for one upon arrival to pick you up at the station.

The two that I would suggest are:

Fo Taxi +36 1 222 2222 and the other City taxi +36 1 211 1111 both will give you good solid service at a fair metered rate.

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
3. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

When I look at the MAV-start website and chart Szeged to Praha it routes me to change trains in Szolnok, which will get you into Keleti, not Nyugati. Why not do that?

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 1
4. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

if you decided to use public transport, it is quite easy, since these two railway stations are connected by metro. take metro3 at nyugati, change at Deak Square (2 stops) to metro2 that takes you directly to keleti (3 stops) . you only need one bkv ticket per person, which can be obtained at the metro entrance. ticket costs 350HUF per person.

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 9
5. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

Dear dhizzo,

I agree with gentlereef: Unless you have a very (and I mean very) large amount of luggage the metro is the best choice for you

Bucks
reviews: 2
6. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

We just got a taxi from the taxi rank from Nyugati to Keleti.

No problem at all, it took 15 minutes, and cost as I recall about €10.

Not worth worrying about...

Philadelphia...
7. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

Thanks everyone!

@johnfarago when we initially looked on the Mav-Start website there were no overnight trains from Szeged to Praha so we ended up booking the overnight train from Budapest* to Praha and now we are just trying to get back to the right Budapest station. Thanks again!

Philadelphia...
8. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

We will basically just have one large suitcase and a backpack each.

Scottsdale, Arizona
9. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

You are looking at a lot of stairs and escalators and walking through traffic and pedestrians. It is up to you how much you think you can handle.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
10. Re: Budapest Nyugati Station to Budapest Keleti Station

How much time do you have to get between Nyugati and Keleti? And how large is your large suitcase?

I agree that the 'best' way would be to take a taxi, but only one that you can call (like City or Fo). I'd be very leery of taking one from a taxi rank.

On using public transport. The obvious way would be to take the blue Metro to Deak ter, change, and take the red Metro to Keleti. You won't have to cross any traffic that way. There are a number of stairs and escalators however. and a fair walk across the plaza at Keleti.. A 'large' suitcase could be something of a problem on a down escalator, if you also have backpacks. The escalators move faster than the ones I'm used to, and the length of the space before the 'drop' begins in pretty short. I'd be a bit concerned about getting myself + suitcase, while wearing a backpack, on a down escalator without fear of falling down the rest of the escalator flight.

I can think of two ways to use buses and trams to get between the two stations. They are both somewhat time consuming, but end p with no escalators. and only the stairs at the fronts of the stations, and steps up onto into buses or trams. The shorter one does require crossing one lane of one street with a light; the longer one does not. (I've actually used both at varying times.)