We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Voorhees, New Jersey
reviews: 2
Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Will be arriving after dinner has been served and need a restaurant we can walk to near the Viking boat dock in downtown Pest to get something to eat?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 141
1. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Hello 650,

Budapest is full of so many great kitchens perhaps you could share what type of food and atmosphere are you after?

This will help us guide you toward something you may really enjoy rather than just throwing out a bunch of ideas at you.

Best

SEBESZ

Voorhees, New Jersey
2. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

We will be flying in and getting to the boat after an overnight flight so would be glad to have a place just to have a small dinner to unwind. I saw a Greek restaurant on the pest side on trip advisor but don't know how close to the pier. Would like something within short working distance of Elizabeth Bridge and Chain Bridge on Pest side of city. Thank you for your suggestions.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Hello 650

After a long day of travel you may want to look at the café Gerloczy unassuming nice solid kitchen and very tranquil setting atmosphere wise. Nice little place to unwind and really relax.

A little further a field one of my favorites in the city is Café Bouchon a nice casual and cozy place with an unpretentious warm, welcoming, friendly atmosphere with a strong Austro/Hungarian influenced menu. A solid kitchen, moderate prices, great wine list, and a very knowledgeable and caring staff. 20 minute walk

There is a nice little place called Gepard es Urhajo on Belgrád Rakpart I had lunch with some friends awhile back and it was good and solid with a surprisingly good kitchen. Here is the link on TA to it so you can see what others say tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d2…

You may also want to consider Spoon which will give you great views of the Danube and chain Bridge but IMHO the food will be one notch down from that of Gepard es Urhajo here is the link to Spoon tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d7…

I believe you are thinking of Taverna Dionysos it is an ok option as well as Trattoria Toscana right next to it.

All are easily searched out here on TA so you can see what each has to offer. I am sure others will chime in with some great suggestions but this should get you started.

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Edited: 11:39 pm, April 25, 2013
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 85
4. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Hi 650,

The Viking boats typically dock on the Pest side, either immediately north of the Chain Bridge, or just south of the Erszebet Bridge - quite close to the Greek restaurant you mentioned. That restaurant, Taverna Dionysos is quite good and is a neighborhood staple - with the owner, staff, chef all stay the same as the day it opened in 1993. My wife and I have dine there often and enjoy the food (meat, fresh seafood, typical solid Greek starters, etc.) It's nice if you can get an outdoor table - which while it's along side a sometimes busy single-lane road, it offers nice views of the surrounding including Gellert Hill. You can make reservations online. The website is - http://www.taverna-dionysos.hu/

Enjoy,

Jeremy

Voorhees, New Jersey
5. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Sounds like some great options. Is it safe at night for a senior couple to walk from the Viking pier to these suggestions (is it walkable) or should we take a taxi?.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Very safe and yes easily walkable

Enjoy

SEBESZ

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
7. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Assuming that you dock near the Elizabeth Bridge, the Dionysos, the Gerloczy, and Gepard es Urhajo (as well as Trattoria Toscana, an Italian place with a strong following; I have had disappointing meals both there and at Dionysos and tend to avoid them but many others like them a lot; I have had very strange service at Gepard, but the food was very good and the service was not bad but just it seemed somewhat amateurish). Of the group, the Gerloczy would be my choice on food but it's the only one that isn't right by the river.

If you dock near the Chain Bridge, I'd personally take a taxi to Bouchon, but it's really a 10-15 minute walk to the others even from there. And the #2 tram will do the trick nicely, though it requires getting transit tickets.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 37
8. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

Just a half dozen blocks away from the chain bridge on the Buda side is a small restaurant we came across after enjoying on of the baths ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d1…

Pjk

Edited: 10:09 pm, April 26, 2013
9. Re: Restaurants near the Viking boat dock for dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 28, 2014