We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newry, United...
reviews: 1
Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard of bookinbudapest.com for airport transfers? They advertise 19Euro each way per car so 38Euros return. I emailed them for a quote and they have replied with an email from a gmail.com address saying the driver will be waiting in the airport with our name on a card and to pay them directly.

I can't find any reviews about this website and am afraid of landing in Budapest and no transfer turning up? Can anyone advise on who is cheap or whether anyone has heard of this firm before?

luton
reviews: 174
1. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

hi lorna

they seem pretty legit

there is a number on their site

+36-70-776-12-17

I have used http://budapestairporttaxi.com/Welcome.html and they are reliable but slightly dearer at 24 euros per leg

i am happy to pay 20 quid to get from the airport to the hotel hassle free

good luck

tony

Wexford Ireland
reviews: 52
2. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Hi

Don't know anything about that company but we used Airportshuttle.hu. Excellent service and the cost from airport to district V11 return was 7911huf, 27 euros approx.

So maybe worth checking out.

Wexford Ireland
3. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Hi

Don't know anything about that company but we used Airportshuttle.hu. Excellent service and the cost from airport to district V11 return was 7911huf, 27 euros approx.

So maybe worth checking out.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
4. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

It's a bit apples and oranges between taxis and the airport shuttle ... they are different services and each has strengths and weaknesses, all detailed at great length in the archives and the Top Questions here...

As to the OP's question, they are plainly a booking company if their website is to be believed ... that's about the last way I would book anything in any country because my philosophy is that the greater the number of links in the chain between me and the service provider the worse it will be iof something goes wrong

You have a perfectly decent taxi company providing service at the very easily accessible curb, for 1-2 euros more than the price advertised by the discount companies

if you want to shave a few euros, take public transit or the shuttle (if you are just 1-2 people);

if you want extra service and a person who will wait for you inside the terminal, as I do, use someone you can contact directly and expect that the extra few euros are buying reliability (if the person comes with the recommendations to back that up)

the website lutonlagerlout mentions is the one that belongs to the driver i use regularly and on whom i rely totally when i am flying in and out of Budapest (half a dozen times a year); he has helped me through all sorts of emergencies like lost bags, shipping home an extra bag that the airline has refused to take (don't ask!), waiting for a vastly delayed flight arrival, tracking me down when i have missed a connection ... all the things that can go wrong ... he has never asked for a penny more than his advertised cost for the service he provides (plainly extra stuff like shipping things back costs extra) ...

if an when a connection gets missed, he monitors his phone constantly and is always there, even when he has to ask a colleague to cover for him because his car is in service or he has conflicting commitments ... unlike most drivers, he doesn't ask his colleagues for a commission when he sends a trip their way, but he stands behind the arrangements nonetheless

one time i booked him he was hospitalized and couldn't meet me ... he sent a colleague who managed to be looking for me in the wrong terminal (possibly my fault...) .. i called Alajos who answered from his hospital bed and then coordinated the two of us finding each other...

but the taxi company at the curb in the airport is perfectly reliable and trustworthy and quite possibly simpler than seeking out someone with a sign ... it's all a question of your travel preferences ... my only thought, again, is that it's ill-advised to try to get extra service and also save a few bucks or euros ... 90% of the time it will work, but 10% it can go seriously askew -- why bother?

Newry, United...
5. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Thanks MasseyWexfordIreland. This transfer company seems cheaper than the one I was quoted. Did you book online and where did you get the transfer from? Does the driver stand in the arrivals section of the airport with your name on a board? Many thanks

Newry, United...
6. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Thank you John for your detailed response. I have emailed your recommended transfer company to seek a quote.

Wexford Ireland
7. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

Hi Lorna

I booked on line and you get a 10% discount by doing so.

When you come into arrivals go to the airport shuttle desk at the right hand side, you will have printed off your receipt when you book and you hand it in at the desk. We had to wait 5mins for the minibus and driver to arrive and the person at the desk gives your details to the driver.

There was one other couple waiting and they were dropped off first.

On our return journey we were picked up from our hotel and we were the only people on the minibus.

We thought for the price it was an excellent service.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

I used Palai Alajos (http://budapestairporttaxi.com) following Tripadvisor recommendations in early July 2012. What a gent! He was there waiting for us at the airport with a BIG sign with my name on so we could find him. His transfer was fast and efficient, right to the hotel door. He insisted on helping with the bags. I asked for a return to the airport at 17.15 three days later. At EXACTLY 17.15 on the appointed day, he pulled up and whisked us away back to the airport! Price? €46. Cheap? no, but comparable in price to minibuses etc. Would I recomennd? ABSOLUTELY! He is efficent, HONEST, friendly, courteous and reliable. For first time visitors to Budapest, this man's taxi service is a MUST!

Edited: 9:48 am, July 06, 2012
USA
reviews: 28
9. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

I didn’t have a particularly positive experience with the gentleman. John F. and I had been arguing for quite some time about the benefits vs. the additional cost of hiring a private cab in lieu of using the airport contracted cab company, Fotaxi. The advantages or Palai Alajos are supposedly “a friendly face in a crowd”, a “familiar face in a crowd”, security in a recommendation of this individual coming from a person of integrity such as John Farago, some sort of convenience?

To be fair in our discussions I decided on one trip to use Alajos. I picked a trip in which I would need a lot of rides to and from the airport. That way I thought the evaluation would be broader and much more fair. I wrote Alajos and made the following arrangements with him:

1. Airport to town early afternoon for two (arrival in Bpest)

2. Town to Airport late evening for two (departure to Moscow)

3. Airport to town very early morning for two (arrival from Moscow)

4. Town to airport mid afternoon for two with;

5. return to town with four on board (picking up our kids upon arrival from the US)

6. Town to airport early morning for four (the whole family going home)

All told, that is Six trips to or from the airport. This was over the course of two weeks. A pretty fair test I thought.

We were met at the airport by a smiling gentleman with our name on a sign, so far, so good. We greeted each other and began the walk up the stairs and down the concourse where he had found a parking place. Because Fotaxi has the concession at the airport only they can park directly outside the arrival hall. Fotaxi on this score is more convenient. Once in the car I began a conversation, only to discover that this gentleman, nice as he was, was not the man we had contracted with. This was not Palai Alajos. Palai Alajos was reportedly ill. Still, no complaint we were taken efficiently to our apartment, the car was basically clean and the service was as described. Basically I paid a stranger,not recommended by anyone, to drive me for money to my apartment; no better, no worse than any decent taxi.

About four days later when I called to confirm the next assignment, a return trip to the airport, I was informed by Palai Alajos that he was still ill and another driver would come.

Two days later we were picked up at the airport by someone other than Palai Alajos …. Still reportedly ill. By this time he had been too sick to work for over a week.

Again, two days later I confirmed with Palai Alajos; but yet another gentleman arrived to take us to the airport to pick up our kids.

Four days later the same driver returned to take us to the airport for our trip home. After some questioning I learned that Palai Alajos never drives more than two as he doesn’t have a large enough vehicle.

Two weeks, six rides all confirmed to be with Palai Alajos but I never met the guy. I thought I was hiring Palai Alajos based on John F’s recommendation of that particular gentleman. Was he sick or was he just acting as a booking company for his friends? I felt as though Paiai Alajos might have been misrepresenting himself and his intent so for the last six months I have been quietly asking people about his service, and while my little informal survey proves nothing I did discern what might be a pattern. My personal impression from the questions that I have been asking is that my experience wasn’t unique;

1. Palai Alajos might never turn down a fare,

2. Palai Alajos might never suggest that someone other than he might actually be providing the service,

3. Palai Alajos is often ill requiring someone else to take the fare (not just with me)

4. You are far less likely to ever meet Palai Alajos if there are more than two in your party

The situation is such that Palai Alajos falls into category of people that I am not presently able to do business with, trust or recommend. I have met John F. and I have no indication that he is anything other than a decent, honest and direct individual and I worry more about his reputation than Palai’s.; and that’s why I would suggest that when John recommends Palai Alajos that he widen the recommendation to Palai Alajos or one of his sub-contractors so that people are not unintentionally misled.

As for the quality of the service I did receive; the two drivers that were sent in Palai Alajos’ place were both competent and professional. The cars were average when compared to the Fotaxi cars. Not better, not worse. Actually one of the two cars we were carried in was not particularly clean in the luggage area making putting our luggage in a little more difficult than it should have been. But no great complaint. The advantage over Fotaxi? Well I used Fotaxi a couple of times a few weeks ago and they were every bit as good in every respect, as well as more convenient; and a lot cheaper.

I had one other experience a few weeks ago. Several planes arrived at about the same time and the exit to the arrivals hall was packed. Unless I had really great eyes (and I don’t) I never would have seen one individual holding up my name card among the dozens and dozens of individuals doing the same, or just crowded in to greet friends and relatives. This while I was being pressed from behind by the crowd of passengers trying to move forward. In the absolute chaos of that arrival the one saving grace was I didn’t have to find a face, or a sign, in a crowd I just had to go with the flow to the Fotaxi kiosk, get my ticket and get in the first cab. I would image I accomplished this in a fraction of the time anyone with a driver was able to do.

10. Re: Airport Transfers - Bookinbudapest.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:46 pm, July 09, 2013