We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Vienna

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 116
Train from Budapest to Vienna

I am planning on travelling from Budapest to Vienna in mid-May by train. I will be in Budapest for 3 nights. Should I purchase my train ticket once I arrive to Budapest or online before I leave? Am I even able to purchase online??

thanks

175 replies to this topic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
111. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

You will presumably be collecting the ticket in Budapest, not Vác :)

Austin
112. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

I'm getting the same error message on the Mav site.

"Dear User,

Due to the reconstruction at Vác station, the e-Ticket machine is temporarily out of order.

We kindly apologise for the inconveniences."

Did you figure out how to book the tickets? They're showing up at the 13 Euro price for me, but I can't reserve due to that error message.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
113. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

It is just informing you that the ticket machine in Vács is out of order, nothing to do with whether you can buy then or not.

Ipoh, Perak...
reviews: 3
114. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Hi GCEK, I've learnt so much already from your posts, thanks a great deal!

I'll be traveling Budapest-Vienna return 5th Apr-7th Apr and checked the MAV website having price options of 26E, 29E and 38E - you mentioned the 38E one cover public transport in Vienna - does that mean all the modes like trams, buses and the subway?

Also, my flight leaves Budapest on the 7th Apr at 3pm and I'm thinking of taking the 06.48 train from Vienna arriving Budapest 09.49 - I just need to get to the airport 12pm so on paper it looks ok. Just a bit of worry does the trains ever get delayed by 2 hrs or so that I might miss my flight? - thanks!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
115. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Yes- it will cover all the modes of public transport that you are likely to use.

I think you should be OK with your flight - it would be a rare occurrence for the train to be delayed by more than a few minutes - last year there were floods which damaged the track, but it was exceptional. Don't let that worry you.

Ipoh, Perak...
116. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Would you know if after arriving at Keleti train station, is there a subway or other transport that's easy to take from there to the airport?

The train in Vienna leaving at 6.48am is a bit on the early side as I read somewhere the subway starts at 6am so I'm going to try booking a hotel near a subway station and hope the train comes by there early enough to reach the train station on time.

Ipoh, Perak...
117. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Not sure which terminal at Budapest airport but its Lufthansa to Frankfurt, then onto Asia.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
118. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

The U-Bahn starts earlier than that - about 04:30, and you can reach the station in about 10 minutes from almost everywhere. 06:48 is quite a busy time!

Ipoh, Perak...
119. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Wow, no problems with getting a train then..just hope I can fit in one together with my luggage! :)

Thanks again GCEK, much appreciate it.

Kuala Lumpur...
120. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Hey GCEK,

I am hopping you could guide me here. I would like to travel from Budapest to Vienna on May 17, 2014

I am using http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php to purchase 6 tickets. System returns "No offer available for the journey with these conditions"

When I reduced the pax to 4, it seem like there is an offer for Eur13 but the timing is not something that I am looking for. Could you please advise:

1. If I choose the offer timing, how can I purchase ticket for the other two pax and how much will it cost?

2. How can I place the purchase without the 'offer', meaning normal rate?

Thank you in advance for your help

Reply to: Train from Budapest to Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted