We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester UK
reviews: 66
KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Hello,we will soon be flying to Budapest with KLM via Schipol.

The transfer time between flights at schipol is 1 hour 5 mins. I am concerned that this might be a bit tight. Have you flown this route and can you just walk betyween the gates or do you have to pass passport control? Thanks

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 36
1. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

You might be better asking this on The Netherlands forum.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
2. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Why not fly Jet2 direct? Much cheaper and no hassles with Schiphol. I have flown this Manchester - Vienna before via Amsterdam with that amount of transfer time before and the connecting flight went without me so I had to wait 6 hours for the next connection (I only had hand baggage, too). There are worse airports to wait around in, but it was still annoying. The problem is that because you are not arriving from a Schengen country you have to go through passport control and then all the way back down again - if the onward plane has a slot and most of the passengers are on it, it will go. I wouldn't risk it.

Edited: 11:26 pm, February 29, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
3. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

GCEK: I thought UK was Schengen. Don't they sign up for anything in the EU? Even if Schengen, this is what they call a "tight connection" meaning you will miss your flight. Don't try it.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
4. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Nope - and I doubt it will ever join Schengen - they want to keep out all the foreigners, you see ...

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
5. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

The biggest risk is an even slightly delayed arrival .... I have been rushed through passport and security at Schihpol on tight connections like this one (JFK-AMS-BUD) and similarly at Heathrow on JFK-LHR-BUD, but when the arriving flight runs late that doesn't help...it's just cut too close even for extraordinary measures.

And, of course, being hurried through involves sprinting the entire length of the marathon distances they make you go from one end of an airport to the other.

It sounds like dooper may already be ticketed, so re-routing may not be an easy option. If not, then be sure to find a KLM rep as soon as you land to see whether they will assist in getting you from one flight to the other.

Alternatively, practice walking with a limp before departing Manchester and arrange for a wheelchair assist in Schihpol. Then getting you to the connection will be the wheelchair driver's problem.

Manchester UK
6. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Ok i had already booked and am ticketed through with KLM. Having checked the website, it appears i need to pass through the express lane and head for the connection asap otherwise if i miss,then i will have to wait for next flight.

I'll let you know if i make it !

Washington, England
reviews: 14
7. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Flew from Newcastle to Amsterdam to Budapest recently with similar change over time and it was plenty of time to catch the plane. However if your plane from Manchester is delayed then you may have a problem.

If you are delayed then KLM will have to get you to your destination.

Edited: 3:22 pm, March 01, 2012
Manchester UK
8. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Made the connection with plenty of time . KLM were spot on time.Slight confusion as to where to go re Schengen border checks etc but in reality, i should have just followed the gate number for the AMS>BUD leg as it is all taken care of.

Great Malvern...
reviews: 6
9. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

My wife and i travelled to Budapest via schipol airport on monday(19) and again Thursday(21) on our first encounter our flight was due in at 1.15PM local time to get our connection to Budapest at 1.45 but if you have ever travelled to Amsterdam you will know that when you land you`d think you would have plenty of time,but by the time the plane has taxied(10-15mins)and then you discover that your gate is at the other end of the airport and to your horror(which my wife and i cannot understand)you have go through customs even though your airside all the time,which takes forever.Suffice to say we were late for our connection,and had to run the gauntlet of stares from the cabin.

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 36
10. Re: KLM MAN>Schipol>Bud connection...

Donbacsi, we stopped signing up for things when we found that others signed up and then ignored the rules (am I talking about the Frogs ? surely not !).

For some reason that most Brits find unfathomable, most of the people who enter the EU illegally seem to want to come to Britain (it may be to do with speaking English as their second language, it may be that they imagine that the UK is a halfway point to the US, it may be that they have heard that our benefits system is a soft touch, I really have no idea as to why).

To stop our tiny island from being overwhelmed (it is already overpopulated, we only produce 60-70% of our agricultural needs), we have to have strict (HA!!!) immigration rules, so Schengen is right out.

Any party which suggested signing up would be obliterated at the next election, so we will never join.