We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding in budapest HELP

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
wedding in budapest HELP

Me and my partner (who are both british nationals) are hoping to get married in Budapest. We have done quite abit of research online however cant seem to get the answers we need. Does anyone know the requirements/restrictions? We are preferably looking for a civil ceremony as me or him arent religious however if we have to that is fine! I have looked at magaret island and im aware you can be married although there is no information on how you would go about doin this. Any info would be much appreciated thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
1. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

A woman asked this very same question a few months ago, although she wanted to get married on castle hill. I looked in my archieve but couldn't find the discussion. If you go to the top of the page to the "search" box, try typing in "marriage" or "wedding" and see if that helps. Come back as soon as you have more questions...which you will.

2. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

I cannot seem to find it!

Thanks for your help anyway

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
3. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

Don't give up. Keep checking back. I will look a little deeper to see if I can find the thread, but trust that you will be able to have your special day in Budapest! In the mean time, check with the Hungarian Embassy in your country to see what papers they require for a Hungarian wedding. You won't be the first to ask, and I suspect you will find them very helpful as Hungarians are generally very romantic.

Edited: 3:45 pm, January 15, 2012
High Spen, UK
reviews: 67
4. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

and if you do find out please come back and let us know, I would love to get married in Budapest, hints to boyfriend will now start :-)

5. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

Thanks both we have contacted the embassay just waitin to hear back. Will keep u posted

USA
reviews: 28
6. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

Or if you dont have luck with anything else you might contact a company called HELPERS.HU the website is helpers.hu (sort of obvious). They are an anything for a buck sort of company and can do a lot of the research and leg work for you. Nice folks too.

I thought i might suprise my wife on one of our visits and propose again and get married again so let us know what you come up with.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

I found the thread donbasci was referring to but it is mainly joking about the wisdom or otherwise of getting married, and the accoutrements of a traditional Hungarian wedding, with a side mention of mountains of paperwork. To find it, type "getting married" in the search box and it's the second or third one down.

This, however, does seem more relevant, and points out that not all countries recognise marriages performed in other countries- you should check if the UK does. Also it mentions that a requirement (at least in 2007) was that at least one of the couple be a resident in Hungary. So if that still applies you may be out of luck.

tripadvisor.com/…8957576

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
8. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

Well, let's take a step back...

There are two separate questions and you will need answers to ech...

Will the marriage be recognized as legal in Hungary?

And

Will it be recognized as legal back home.

The Humgarian Embassy is the only authoritative ounce of an answer to the first, outside Hungary.

You'll still want advice from someone in Britain's government for the second...in the USA it could vary by state, but in th UK I believe the answer is national and as Hungary is in the EU it may be pretty straightforward, but it also possibly is not.

Another option is to have a second perfunctory ceremony back home, and not care about the details of hungarian legality...

Budapest
9. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

Hi,

I am not sure if you still need the information, but the required documents are the followings:

- passport

- recently issued birth certificate

- certificate about marital status and residential address

- certificate of no impediment

These must be official translated, and need also an Apostille stamp. To get the marriage licence takes ca. 2-3 months.

You should go to the local registry office and apply for the licence there.

I hope it helps!

Budapest, Hungary
10. Re: wedding in budapest HELP

Hello,

If you are looking for a wedding venue consider Bakelit Multi Art Centre in Budapest. I have posted a statment from Bakelit below, if your interested their contact details are also list. Feel free to check it out.

If you are looking for a special wedding venue that represents your personality, passions, and relationship? The Bakelit Multi Art Centre offers a variety of multifunctional spaces that are perfect for whatever you have planned. Whether its a dj playing party music or dancing to a live band Bakelit can accommodate your vision. Bakelit is the perfect venue for ceremonies, receptions, and any other wedding related events. The centre is located in a former industrial area of Budapest. The spinner factory turned “Factory Theatre” provides an unrivalled quirky charm.

Are you worried about the groom being late? With Bakelit there is no need to worry. Along with its several hall spaces of varying size and floor space Bakelit also also boasts hostel facilities. The hostel facilities at Bakelit provide the perfect space for last minute preparations before the big moment. A wedding at Bakelit is certain to be a memorable event for you, your partner, friends and family.

For more information on the venue or to book please visit http://www.bakelitstudio.hu/teremberles.html

E-mail teremberles[at]bakelitstudio.hu or call +36 30 516 8860