We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy paprika online?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 11
Where to buy paprika online?

After our trip to Hungary, we are now hooked on both the sweet and hot Hungarian paprika. I need to re-stock my kitchen! Where can it be bought online, and what is a good brand? I hope someone can help.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
1. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

We've been happy with the products and service at Penzeys spices for several years. Looking at their website (www.penzeys.com) I see that they now sell three types of Hungarian paprika.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

There are two famous brand, Kalocsai (sweet) and Szegedi paprika.

www.szegedipaprika.hu, you can change the language to English. I`m sure there are plenty hungarian shop in America, where you can buy paprika. :)

Unfortunately, I couldn`t found any on-line.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
3. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

I also recommend Penzey's.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
4. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

I grew up on imported paprika, somehow ferreted into the USA despite draconian bans on all Hungarian products after 1956, and sold in two stores in the Hungarian neighborhood in NYC (Yorkville) whose sole reason for being, more or less, was paprika: Paprikas Weriss (my family's favorite) and H Roth (also known as Paprika By The Barrel).

Both stores have since passed on to The great Hungarian Neighborhood In The Sky and all that remains of Yorkville is a single shop, originally a modest butcher shop, the Hungarian Meat-Packing Store, on Second Avenue and 81st Street. You can get decent paprika there.

Ray Bradley, an American farmer, and former sous chef at Bouley, has been making paprika on his farm and while it is not Hungarian paprika it's very good; but you can only get it at the greenmarket in Union Square (I think) and on 97th Street in NYC (I know).

Penzey's is likely as good as the Hungarian Meat Packing shop's and they ship... I buy my mail order spices from The Spice House and note that they stock a range of paprikas, similar to Penzey's: thespicehouse.com/spices/hungarian-sweet-pap…

Paprika comes from a region of Hungary surrounding the city of Szeged. Many people believe that the town of Kalocsa produces a finer paprika, and every cook in Hungary has a view. But the serious cooks don't zero in on a town but on a particular farm, or a particular harvest or a particular batch... They wander from roadside stand to roadside stand tasting and eyeing the goods.

I have to say that the brightness and vividness of the color when I first saw paprika purchased that way totally knocked my socks off. The taste was even more of a revelation ... the depth and complexity and richness and sweetness, even of the sharp paprika, was compelling. Since then, it's kind of become an obsession...

So, my suggestion is that the places recommended here will tide you over, but you really have to start planning your next trip now ... and plan to bring home a kilo (i wonder if it's legal to do so...).

usa
5. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

Before writing this post, I had checked Penzey's, but they do not have both sweet and hot paprika, so I was looking for another source. Thanks to all who took the time to write. JohnFarago, we get into NYC a few times a year, so next time there I will investigate the stores you mention. I will also check out the Spice House as an online resource, which would be a lot more convenient. I especially like your suggestion to start planning our next trip to Hungary; but unfortunately, one child is off to college next fall and we have another right behind her, so that is not going to happen. :(

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
6. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

sadly, the only remaining store is the Hungarian Meatpacking shop, and i just checked and they have a website:

www.hungarianmeatmarket.com/items.php?c=334

the truth is that the sweet is really the most important (he said, about to speak heresy:) as the mild is the one where you can taste the sweetness; for years, when stuck in a paprika-impaired state, i used to use sweet paprika (which i could get) and augment it with cayenne, and frankly could not tell the difference. of course, that was before i started getting paprika from country stands, and now the hot paprika seems rich and flavorful as well...

Bende, the Chicagoland butcher that makes Hungarian Brand Salami (which remains my favorite Hungarian salami, i suppose because i grew up eating it) also sells paprika online:

www.bende.com/ecommerce/catalog.cfm?cat=14

and if you are coming to nyc and drop me a line, perhaps i can find a wee bit of farmstand paprika i can spare in my larder ...

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
7. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

I might mention that Penzey's 'half-sharp' is quite hot enough for me. It's a mix of sweet and sharp.

Eger, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
8. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

You could also try ebay (www.ebay.com). There are several people on there selling paprika who will post abroad.

usa
9. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

I have now ordered sweet and half sharp from The Spice House. Their prices appeared better than Penzeys; if I'm not happy with them, I will try Penzey's at some point in the future. I didn't know what half sharp meant, so thanks to oddone123 for defining it for me. JohnFargo, I will check out the hungarianmeatmarket.com website and also plan to stop in the next time I'm in NYC. Also, that's so kind of you to offer to share your supply of paprika, but I wouldn't dream of imposing in such a way.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
10. Re: Where to buy paprika online?

Paprika drives me nuts, like shrimp and like olives ... there's no meaningful or regulated grading vocabulary -- sweet, rose, noble, half-sweet, half-sharp, sharp, hot, plus hungarian versions of these words, like edes, csipos ... and more. There's no Bureau of Paprika Weights and Measures, and mostly it seems that the producer tries to label his/her paprika as the particular crop/lot tastes at the time. With the Hungarian wistful/wishful spin on marketing that affects the way all things are described in Hungary. I learned at my father's knee that I would never feel disappointed or let down if only I understood that the verb 'to be' and all its forms, when translated into or out of Hungarian should be read as meaning, 'i wish'...

i'm serious, though, about dropping me a personal message if you're a paprika fanatic and likely to be in nyc ... and i'll see what the larder will bear