We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vienna to Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
reviews: 5
Train from Vienna to Budapest

Hi - What train can I take from Vienna to Budapest. I know there are a lot, but which is most cost efficienct and fastest. What is the name of the train station in Vienna and the one in Budapest?

Thanks!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
1. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

Look at www.idos.cz for times and names of stations - it should cost c. €19 and all trains cost the same. Buy the ticket on the day as you normally would.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
2. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

If you have the opportunity, and especially if you are traveling roundtrip, buying 15-30 days before in either Vienna or Budapest can result in a discount fare. The train takes two hours, though there are some indirect trains that take longer and you should avoid those. The direct trains all go to Keleti station, but not every train to Keleti is direct. The trains leave from either of two train stations in Vienna -- make sure you go to the one your train departs from (we screwed up on one tri and ha t fling ourselves into a taxi to get there and jump on as the train was starting to move).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
reviews: 30
3. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

Itinerary Planer of Austrian Railways ÖBB:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/e

Booking Site of ÖBB:

https://ticket.oebb.at/bin/frame_ticket.pl…

Trains to Budapest leave from Railway Station West (Westbahnhof) but also stop at Wien-Meidling.

ny
reviews: 3
4. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

I cannot find any train from Vienna to Budapest for 2 hrs, the fastest is 2 hrs 44 mins, most are around 3 hrs. Am I missing something?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
5. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

I think the above must have been a slip - the fastest is indeed 2 hrs 44 minutes.

Washington DC...
6. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

Hi All. I've been reading about the trains from Vienna to Budapest. I've seen the website for tickets, and I've also seen the suggestion to buy tickets on the day of travel. I'd just as soon buy tickets when I get there, but I plan to travel from Vienna to Budapest on August 19th, and I know that the 20th is a major holiday in Hungary. Will the trains be particularly crowded because of this? Should I buy tickets ahead of time? Thanks in advance!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
7. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

Ignore my suggestion above to buy the ticket on the day - I must have been tired :)

If you want to travel from Vienna to Budapest and you know which day you want to travel, then buy your ticket in advance from oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp

I can't see why it would be any busier than usual, and if you have a reserved ticket it wouldn't matter anyway. Also if you get to the station about 15 minutes before the train departs then you can take your pick of the seats as long as it is not reserved already.

Hope this helps!

Washington DC...
8. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

Thanks!

Singapore
reviews: 1
9. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

hi there, I can only speak english and can't seem to find answers that I need on the OBB or czech website...

As I am about to start my travelling in a few wk's time (on a 6wks trip), I hope someone can help me out with this. :)

I am looking to get train tickets for the following:

27Aug: Night train from Prague to Budapest.

(1)How Do I purchase ticket for the Night train?

(2)How do i make reservation especially if I am looking at booking a 2-pax coachroom?

(3)Which particular train should I be looking at?

30Aug: Morning train from Budapest to Vienna... i know usually travellers travel from Austria up to Hungary... But i would like to explore going from Budapest to Vienna...

again... can someone recommend me the most efficient way to Vienna pls. How do I make reservation?

3Sep: from Vienna to Salzburg...

thank u, I appreciate all help!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
10. Re: Train from Vienna to Budapest

Hopefully this answers some of your queries:

27Aug: Night train from Prague to Budapest.

(1)How Do I purchase ticket for the Night train?

This ticket is only available direct from the station – it cannot be bought online. Obviously it costs a lot more than the day train (from €19 – can only be bought here https:/… ) but you save on a hotel room for the night, so it works out quite well. You can buy it either on the day of travel, or a couple of days before if you are in Prague (or any other station in the Czech Republic, for that matter)

(2)How do I make reservation especially if I am looking at booking a 2-pax coachroom?

You buy it at the same time as the ticket. I'm not even sure this train has 2-bed compartments, but as it is not the most popular way of getting to Budapest, there will be very few other people in the carriage. It looks like this inside www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_WLABmee.php

There is a way of pre-reserving on-line, but not buying the ticket - a lot more information here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k28404…

(3)Which particular train should I be looking at?

See www.idos.cz or www.vlak.cz for all times. The night train to Budapest leaves at 21:40 and arrives at 08:32

30Aug: Morning train from Budapest to Vienna...

Plenty of people travel from Budapest to Vienna. Just buy the ticket in the day at the train station, as you normally would. See the above link for times. No need for a reservation. I think it costs about €19, but somebody might have better information on that.

3Sep: from Vienna to Salzburg...

Again, buy the ticket at the station on the day of travel – there are over 30 trains a day from Vienna to Salzburg and it is very rare or non-existent that any or all of them are full. The ticket costs about €44, whether you buy it on the day or not, and they cannot sell out. Again, no need for a reservation.

Hope this helps!