We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Budapest to Athens

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Train travel from Budapest to Athens

Does anyone have experience with train travel from Budapest to Athens? I am travelling with my wife and two teenage daughters. Are there any major safety concerns? Can I buy tickets and obtain a seat reservation/sleeper online? Is it preferable to route through Bucharest or Belgrade?

Thanks!!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 2
1. Re: Train travel from Budapest to Athens

The more direct route is through Belgrade; and even that will take approximately 25 hours. Yes, you can make online reservations through raileurope but you would probably save money waiting until you get to Budapest. If this is for summer travel, I'd reserve in advance. You will need to secure possession of passports, valuables and not leave any luggage unattended, especially traveling at night.

Bristol, United...
2. Re: Train travel from Budapest to Athens

well, travelling to that direction over 25 hours is not a daydream... i would recommend to rather fly, it may be even cheaper if you book well ahead.

Bristol, United...
3. Re: Train travel from Budapest to Athens

and if you are on holiday, why spend 25 hours on a train and not at the seaside in athens??

texas
4. Re: Train travel from Budapest to Athens

The flight is cheaper. I was thinking that the train trip through Serbia and Bulgaria would be an interesting way to see some of Eastern Europe for a few days. I am now starting to think that flying may be a better plan particularly travelling with my two teenage daughters. We have several days "free" between our time in Budapest and planned arrival in Greece.

5. Re: Train travel from Budapest to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 27, 2009