We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Cost of Budapest

Excluding accomodation costs, how much money do you need roughly per day in Budapest for a holiday?

Just want a guide. Would like to do some sightseeing, bit of nightlife etc.

Going for 5 days.

Thanks.

dublin
reviews: 7
1. Re: Cost of Budapest

Hi

I was there a couple of months back and found it pretty cheap, but there seems to be an almost two tier pricing system, ie if you go to "tourist traps" you'll pay pretty much the same price as home, but if you stick will local shops, bars etc you'll get things a lot cheaper. An eaxample of this is the price of beer. In one local type bar we were getting a good sized nice beer for E1.85 put we went to a tourist spot and spent E4.00 for a beer.

so the upshot of this is, if you watch where your going youll get very good value - you would easily get away with E70 a day - convert for pounds. (depends how much drinking you do i suppose)

ps public transport is very cheap.

Clarks Summit...
reviews: 25
2. Re: Cost of Budapest

I would agree with the previous poster. If you go to the "tourist" places you will pay the same as at home. I just returned and loved Budapest. The public transport is dirt cheap. The metro (subway) is a very easy way to get around. I was the only person I noticed who actually bought and stamped their tickets. The baths were reasonable and if you don't stay all day you get money back. I think, with bath sheet and private booth, I spent about $8 for 5 hours. If you go to a non tourist restaurant or cafe the food is not only wonderful but inexpensive and the beer is about 50-80 cents. The museums were free when I was there. I don't know if it was for a special occasion but I went into 4 museums (excellent) and paid nothing at all. I even got to see the Dali exhibit which I tried to see in Philadelphia and couldn't get tickets to for any price. There is so much to see if your are a walker. Climb up the Buda side mountain park to the statue of lady liberty and the view is extraordinary. I spent about $50 a day with food not counting souvenirs. I did take a trip on the Danube for $25.

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 27
3. Re: Cost of Budapest

the museums are for free the temporary parts.

You can as a EU citizent visit the holy crown for free at the Parlament but you need to bring your passport with you.

a good place to eat is trofea grill all you can eat drink

http://www.trofeagrill.hu/uk/index.htm

Paris
reviews: 4
4. Re: Cost of Budapest

It all Depends of How you want to Spend your Holidays .

I agree with the First two repliers . It's like All the Big Cities all over the World . If you want to go and eat at the * Tourist Places * at the main street you will end up paying a lot ( 2500-4000 HUF ) . If you decide to be more modest and go eat at the local bakery or the fast food places you will save much . The first day i arrived i went for dinner with my girlfirend at the only place wich was opened , behind the kempinski and we ended up paying 8500 HUF for nothing . Wen never payed that much in all our stay .

Transportation is very cheap , i recommend you to buy the Card that enable you to use all Public transport for a week , not the Budapest Card wich is overpriced and u wont need it .

NightLife in budapest is quite absent , wich surprised me a lot . Very Quiet at night , you need to walk a lot or take a Taxi to reach the other part where you can find SOMEHOW busy street . Prices of Drinks are acceptable .

Most Sightseeing are free , the payable ones are still cheap .

5 Days is more than enough to see everything is you keep yourself busy .

For your question i would say you would need around 60-70 USD or 12.000 -13.000 HUF per day at least so you enjoy your stay.