We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

border crossing

Which Slovenia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago,IL
border crossing

We will be renting a car in Venice and driving to Ljubljana. I have read someplace that you are required to carry certain unusual items in the car and will be fined if you do not have them. Does anyone know what these items are?

Also I have read that at the border crossing you need a voucher from the hotel you are staying stating you have a reservation. Is this true, will your confirmation notice be enough?

Is there anything else you would need to cross the border?

Thanks for all the help.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
reviews: 220
1. Re: border crossing

There are no "unusual items" required with your car in Slovenia. Slovenian (and other European) traffic laws require the car to be equiped with a first-aid kit and an emergency triangle, which all of the cars in Europe have.

Furthermore Italy has recently passsed a traffic law that requires drivers which stop on a highway and exit their car (in case of break-down or emergency) to wear a phosphorescent jacket similar to ones construction workers or police use. The possesion of such a jacket is not compulsory, but you could get fined if you exit your car on an Italian highway without one.

The information about Slovenian border officials requiring hotel confirmation is not true and has never been the case. Such practices are implied only when groups of "suspicious" budget tourists try entering the country as illegal imigrants. All you need to cross the border is your passport.

Enjoy your trip.

Seaford, United...
reviews: 148
2. Re: border crossing

Have just been to Slovenia - beautiful even in the rain. Crossed from Austria into the country and into Italy to come out. It is just as previous poster says- no problems but get the required items. Do buy a good map if you plan to go off the major routes as some roads are only gravel. My partner loved it as we were in a 4x4! If you are going via Lljubliana the Hotel Mons has a great cafeteria right by the motorway.

Chicago,IL
3. Re: border crossing

Thanks for all the information about border crossing, car and cafeteria.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
4. Re: border crossing

Have just got back from trip to Austria and Slovenia, having rented car from Hertz at Treviso airport. On picking up car they asked if we were driving into Slovenia or Croatia and on affirmative issued us with a form to show Slovenian and Croatian customs confirming our right to take car over the border.

Crossing from Austria (Loibl Pass) we were not in fact asked for it or anything else apart from passports, which WERE looked at (photos).

Olympia
5. Re: border crossing

We never were asked anything when crossing to Slovenia in our German rental from Italy. In fact, the lovely lady at the crossing was laughing, in a very sweet way, when I asked her to stamp my kids US passports. Don't forget to get thant 10 euro sticker for driving in Austria though. Slovenian highways were the best we drove on in Europe.