We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Auschwitz

Which Warsaw hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, Indiana
Visit to Auschwitz

I am attempting to arrange to visit Auschwitz on 2/22. I located a service offering to provide transportation there and back from Warsaw for $146 (US) per person for three (3) people. We would visit for the day and return that evening. Does this sound realistic?

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
reviews: 55
1. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

Realistic yes but beware it's a long way and eventual snowfall might cause traffic problems.

South Bend, Indiana
2. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

What would be a good time to leave from Warsaw? We will be traveling from Lodz first.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
3. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

Woah - Google maps put your journey time at 5.5 hours each way, and Poland's main roads are NOT as fast as, for example, the German autobahns or even UK motorways. Your tour of Auschwitz 1 and 2 will take roughly 3.5 hours, pus you'll need to factor in food breaks and fuel/toilet breaks. So... something like 16-17 hours all in. Do'able, but hard work. Would you consider staying overnight in Krakow and taking some time to see the city before you return to Lodz?

Washington DC...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

I am planning a trip in May to Warsaw and taking the time to go to Auschwitz. It seems that a day trip is possible by air. WAW to KRK (Krakow) on Orbitz the fare is $167. I am trying to figure out what my options are from Krakow airport.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
reviews: 55
5. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

From Kraków airport, you must go to the center (trains to main station) and take an organized tour or a train to Auschwitz.

167$ is far to much in my opinion. I managed to get a round- trip fare to Kraków from Warsaw for 70$. But, of course, fares depend on booking date and load factor.

www.lot.com

www.eurolot.com

Eurolot is an independent affiliate of the national airline LOT Polish Airlines. Both companies sell tickets for domestic routes. The price can be different although both sell for thesame flight under different flight numbers.

Edinburgh
reviews: 98
6. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

My son and I just returned from visiting Auschwitz.

We took the train one way which cost £17 for the 2 of us from Warsaw to Krakow. Unless you are really constrained by time I would definitely stay in beautiful Krakow for at least 1 night.

We went to the bus station and got a return ticket to the camp for £5 each. Took just over an hour and drops you at the gates to the camp. Surprisingly despite the relative closeness of krakow to Auschwitz trains are infrequent and slow. There are as suggested tours that take you to krakow and back but thought them expensive compared to DIY but understand others are happy to pay the premium.

Entry was free although there are charges for tours and audio.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
7. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

Hunter - the general rule in Poland is that (except for some inter-city services) trains ARE old and slow - the faster option is the bus. Local mini-buses or longer distance by coach is usually the sane price range but faster and more comfy.

The country faces a huge cost in terms of replacing or upgrading commie-era infrastructure, with o/s track issues meaning that even when trains are capable of higher speeds, the tracks aren't.

Just one hangover from the time behind the Curtain!

8. Re: Visit to Auschwitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Warsaw