We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torun for the day?

Which Bydgoszcz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ayr, United Kingdom
reviews: 21
Torun for the day?

Hi, staying in bydgoszcz but have seen that a trip to tourn may be worth it. we only have time to go for a day? Where should we get of the train or bus for sightseeing?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Bydgoszcz
1. Re: Torun for the day?

Torun is an hour or less from Bydgoszcz by bus or train.

If you go by train, be sure to book to the Torun Miasto station rather than the Torun Glowny (main) station, as you will be closer to the old city.

There are frequent busses on the route, too, departing from the Bydgoszcz bus station.

A day trip should allow you plenty of time to take in the old city, which is relatively compact.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz

Ayr, United Kingdom
reviews: 21
2. Re: Torun for the day?

Thanks so much for the reply!

Portland, OR
reviews: 25
3. Re: Torun for the day?

Torun is wonderful - I'm glad I spent a night there. Not much to see, but it's a lovely town to stroll through and smell the gingerbread everywhere!

Wroclaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Wroclaw, Poland
reviews: 107
4. Re: Torun for the day?

Don't miss the Gingerbread Museum! :) You will not only see how to make gingerbread cookies but also try to prepare some on your own. I really enjoyed this experience and people working there - they are extremely friendly. It's a shame that this small place is usually omitted by tourists since they are not aware of its existence, here is the website: www.muzeumpiernika.pl/?page=home-english

reviews: 78
5. Re: Torun for the day?

Hi Heather, I have recently returned from my trip to Poland. I did a daytrip to Torun from Poznan and enjoyed it. I will post an account of the sights I saw in Torun that you might find helpful.

- I took the early morning train to Torun, being careful to book for Miasto and not the main Torun station which is not cose to the old city. It was about 2 hours by train from Poznan.

- Torun is a gem of a city that was never bombed during the war.

- Did my own self guided tour and enjoyed walking the streets, admiring the architecture, the merchandise in the stores, and the people going about their business.

- Visited the famous Old Town City Hall with its renowned landmark buildings. Torun has a lot of very pretty, decorative, red brick buildings.

- Saw some cute statues and fountains along the way and took pictures beside them.

- The Raftsmans Fountain has him playing the flute while several golden frogs spout water. He was the Pied Piper of unwanted frogs in ancient day, or so the story goes. The frogs came from the Vistula river that is close by.

- Saw Copernicus House and monument. Copernicus is Torun's famous son.

- Visited St. Marys Church with its opulent, outstanding, golden altar.

- Saw the Copernick University. It is an imposing building.

- Saw the Old Torun Gate Complex. Torun used to be a walled city and some of the old gates are still standing.

- Took picture of the City Walls and the Leaning Tower of Torun. The foundations of the tower have shifted so the tower now leans.

- Saw Convent Gate, Caesars Ark, Sailors Gate and the Granaries by the Leaning Tower.

- Saw Dambskis Palace and St. Johns Cathedral.

Then I opened my eyes in wonder as I found myself beside the Vistula River, beautiful, covered in mist. It is an old friend as I have enjoyed walking beside it in Prague and Budapest.

There were well laid out walkways with large beds of red and orange blossoms along the walkways. Absolutely lovely! I spent some time walking along the river and sitting on a bench for awhile, taking in all the beauty and peace that surrounded me.

I walked along the streets of Torun, admiring the architecture, coming upon fountains or monuments or other things that were a pleasure to behold.

Then it was time to retrace my steps to the train station and buy my return ticket to Poznan after a day well spent.

Edited: 9:31 am, October 13, 2012
Reply to: Torun for the day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bydgoszcz