We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oxford...
Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

My husband and I will be in Krakow in 2 weeks time and would like to visit Auschwitz with a private tour company. I have read so many reviews, but still not sure which one to contact. My husband has a chronic illness and is limited in what he can do so would like to visit Auschwitz only mid afternoon. Suggestions appreciated -------thank-you.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

When we did our visit to Auschwitz we used these guys:

http://www.krakowtours.co.uk/auschwitz.html

A great service, got picked up from our hotel taken to the camp and then afterwards taken to Birkenhau and Phil took us around there and explained a few things as there is just buildings and things there without any information.

Dropped us back to Krakow pretty close to our hotel. A great service I would recommend using them.

Jem

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
2. Re: Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

I'd also suggest Krakow Tours - see my own notes here - http://1904loghouse.com/about/

Phil, the owner, will adapt things as far as he can to suit your husband's abilities. Do remember, though, that to do Auschwitz justice you need a minimum of 3.5 hours there (presuming you also want to visit Birkenau). If you're content to visit only Birkenau or Auschwitz One, not both, then your time budget will be closer to 1.5-2 hours on site.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
3. Re: Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

Krakow - and Poland generally - is not up to "western" standards on access. It's less than 25 years since the country came out of behind the Iron Curtain, and many, many improvements to infrastructure have soaked up public funds. Even modern shopping centres have been built with no wheelchair access. But don't let that put you off - Just do your research and check what's possible.

For example, the Wielizka Salt Mine Tour usually begins with 400 steps down and another 400 en route, but there's a disabled tour for wheelchair users which is all flat. You miss out on some of the sights, of course, but they've made the effort to open up as much to w/c users as they can.

Not all of Auschwitz can be visited - some buildings have steps or stairs, or corridors are too narrow ... you just have to accept that's how it is - after all, gay wheelchair users like me would have been in two target groups for Birkenau ... When you visit, don't forget that of 1.25 million people estimated to have been killed in the Auschwitz camps, 250,000 were politicals, POWs, gays, gypsies and disabled.

Craigavon, United...
reviews: 258
4. Re: Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

Another positive vote for Krakow Tours & Phil.

First class service, punctual, friendly & as johnb121stated, very adaptable.

Enjoy

5. Re: Which private tour company to use to visit Auschwitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Krakow