We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 10
Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Hi there

In January 2008 I went to Poland for a few days, staying in Krakow. One day, I organised a private driver to take me to Oswiecim (Auschwitz Birkenau). He didn't take the main A4 road out (but a minor road to the south of this). He stopped part way to show me an old wooden village but over time I seem to have lost details of the place. All I remember was that we turned right off the road we were travelling on (so it was north of that road) and it was within a hundred yards or so from the main road junction.

I took a few photos which I have put into the following folder:

http://www.soulman1949.com/Poland/

Can anyone help identify the place please?

Many thanks

Alan

Edited: 9:10 am, June 20, 2013
Krakow, Poland
1. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

It will be very hard to identify this church. There are a large number of old wooden churches between Kraków and Oświęcim.

I suggest you should check this:

www.drewniana.malopolska.pl/…

also it resembles me the church which I saw in Wola Radziszowska or Krzęcin

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 318
2. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Hello Alan,

I believe this is the Holy Cross Exaltation wooden cathedral situated in Wygiełzów/Babice (in or near the skansen of Nadwiślanski Park Etnograficzny - I'm not sure).

Have a look:

www.babice.waw.pl/skansen_wygielzow.htm

http://www.mnpe.pl/

Edited: 1:03 pm, June 20, 2013
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
3. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Just read that the church was relocated from Ryczów, so most probably it is in the skansen now.

Stafford, United...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone give me more information on this place as the website is all in Polish and I' be very interested in visiting it:

www.babice.waw.pl/skansen_wygielzow.htm

Thanks

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
5. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Hi kyoto49,

Both links I posted contain info on this skansen. Did you try google translate, please?

But here, I also googled it and found this one in English http://openairmuseum.pl/skansen/wygielzow

Hope it helps.

P.S. Feel like mentioning I haven't visited it.

Edited: 2:52 pm, June 20, 2013
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
reviews: 14
6. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Alan, in answer to your original question there is a wooden village near krakow, Lanckorona. I would have said it was on the rout to zakopane rather tha auschwitz

Edited: 2:41 am, June 21, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Wroclaw, Poland
reviews: 107
7. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

I think Cora is right (hi, Cora!), this "wooden village" is in fact the open-air ethnographic museum. It's on the way from Krakow to Oświęcim (Auschwitz) but it's not a real village, just a museum. There are some real/living wooden villages in the region - like Zalipie (with beautifully painted cottages), Lanckorona or probably the most impressive Chochołów (it's further from Krakow, near Zakopane). There are also many wooden churches around Krakow, people travel from one to another by bikes on an ethnographic trail.

Stafford, United...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Wroclaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Wroclaw, Poland
reviews: 107
9. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Ah, check this out! http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/1043

Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine have been added to the UNESCO list! Yay! Eight of them in Poland and eight in Ukraine.

The list of Polish churches in Lesser Poland Province:

St. Jacob Church in Powroźnik from 1604

The Greek Catholic Parish Church of the Protection of the Mother of God in Owczary built in 1653

St Paraskeva Church in Kwiatoń from 17th century

The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Brunary Wyżne from 1797

Manchester, United...
reviews: 10
10. Re: Where is this wooden village (somewhere west of Krakow)?

Apologies for delay in responding, computer problems now sorted.

Many thanks to all who replied, yes Cora, it does look like it was at Babice. Initially I had my doubts as I thought it was closer to Krakow but it's 8 years since the photos were taken and memory plays many tricks! :-)

Never realised there were quite a few of these wooden "villages". Interesting links.

Thanks again to all from Alan (originally a Zbigniew but the Brits couldn't pronounce my name as a kid)