We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to krakow salt mines

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai, india
reviews: 4
visit to krakow salt mines

We shall be visiting Krakow this month and would very much have liked to do a guided trip to the salt mines. However, both my husband and myself suffer from painful knees and considering that this trip involves walking down more than 400 steps into the mine, we feel rather diffident about our ability to take this trip. Would somebody who has similar problems and has ventured to do this trip into the mines, kindly guide us with their opinion. Would appreciate a frank reply to my post.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

There are more than 800 steps on the full tour, but there is also a disabled tour, using the lifts both ways and walking only on the flat.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
2. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

"The handicapped in wheelchairs can tour the most popular parts of the Wieliczka Salt Mine, in that number two of its subterranean lakes, underground churches of St. Kunegunde’s and of the Cross, the Dwarfs’ Cave, etc. It's advisable to arrange the visit in advance through a phone call put at (+48) 122787302 or fax at (+48) 122787333. "

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 34
3. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

I too will be visiting Krakow this month and plan to visit the salt mines. I am planning to book a tour with Krakow Travel Tours for a Sunday morning. Is there any advantage to any other day or time? I also understand that it is quite cold down there. Does anyone know what the temperature is?

Thanks to all.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
4. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

It's pretty much always the same at 14-16 degrees

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

Johnb,

Thank you for the info on the temperature. Is Sunday morning a good time to visit the Salt Mine?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
6. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

Who can say, m&m? They try to get groups away as quickly as the visitor numbers demand, but if you want to "get in quick" you may have to join a Polish tour rather than wait for space on an English one. Or, of course, book your places on line. https://www.ebilety.kopalnia.pl/index.php…

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

Thank you Johnb.

Birmingham, United...
8. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

Hi, How do you want to go to Salt Mine? I am going to be there this summer and I don't know which transport use. I think about rent a car, What do you think about it?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
reviews: 14
9. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

Tim, various companies organised tours, coach to the mine and a tour specifically for the people on that tour bus.

Its also very easy by public transport, and slight cheaper. The 304 service bus from the old town stops right outside the mine, but you may have a wait for the next english speaking tour.

Its the usual budget v time.

renting a car would be excessive and there is little parking around the old town.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
10. Re: visit to krakow salt mines

Wielizka is only10km from central Krakow - and you do NOT want a rental car in Krakow. To get down to Wielizka there are lots of buses and mini-buses from Glowny and the Galeria. 1904loghouse.com/about-the-salt-mines-2/

Edited: 5:38 am, June 17, 2013