We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia
reviews: 16
Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

Hi,

We are going to be traveling to Prague in early Feb. We will have time for one day trip and are trying to decide between Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov. We realise that Cresky Krumlov is a lot further away than Kutna Hora, but besides that which would be the better choice. We like a variety of things including, history, architecture, art, also quirky things that are a little bit different.

Also can you tell me is there are days of the week to visit these two places which are better than others ie, are interesting shops shut on Mondays so therefore this would be a day to avoid going?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

19 replies to this topic
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
reviews: 45
1. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

quirky would be the bone church in Kutna Hora but doesn't take a lot of time

Cesky Krumlov is one of my favorites..even in winter..the castle is closed but you can still walk through the courtyards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQbxKyLEa4

via Student Agency bus..just at 3 hours....buy on line in advance or visit the ticket window at the bus station Florenc (metro) a day or so before your trip.

**mind you, the SA bus departs from Na Knížecí (Andel). If on line purchase-chose either point in C Krumlov-it doesn't matter. SA buses going to CK approx. 2 hour intervals.. 5,7,9,11a.m...returning 3,5,7pm..7 being the last.

seems the tower is accesible

www.castle.ckrumlov.cz/docs/en/atr3.xml

speaking of quirky...you can find the various David Cerny sculputres around Prague. crawling infants, St. Vaclav-upside down horse, the peeing men etc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_%C4%8Cern%C3%BD

Edited: 5:39 am, January 20, 2014
Prague, Czech...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

In my opinion Cesky Krumlov is more beautiful.

Kutna Hora is faster reached. There is the Bone Ossuary, St. Barbara Cathedral and silver mining exposition. I have never done the mines as I am claustrophobic and my friends told me that the space in the mine is really limited.

As for timing I suggest to plan half day for Kutna Hora and full day for Cesky Krumlov.

Common suggestions will be taking a bus or train, I suggest to do it by private taxi. Guess why!

Florida
reviews: 31
3. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

With a name of "scarybear", you really should visit Kutna Hora.

CK is just too far away for a day-trip. Leave at a reasonable hour after breakfast, go to Kutna Hora, and then return to Prague for dinner. You won't be rushed, and it is an experience.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
4. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

I'd say it also depends on the weather, easier to go by train than by bus if it's snowing for example. Personally, I would not waste my time with Kutna Hora, but many like it.

PS I love Melbourne...!

Edited: 12:06 pm, January 20, 2014
Melbourne Australia
5. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

Thanks for all your thoughts we are probably leaning towards Cesky Krumlov and thinking of using the ckshuttle as it would hopefully give us more time and be more flexible. does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks Kim

Edited: 4:30 am, January 21, 2014
Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
6. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

www.ckshuttle.cz/bus-cesky-krumlov-transfer/

yes, why not, if you are willing to pay the charges. It won't be that much quicker but definitely more flexible.

Melbourne Australia
7. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

That was out thinking at least we can leave at a time that is suitable and if the pickup and drop off is closer to were we are staying it will save us time and give us more time to enjoy there.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
reviews: 19
8. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

How many people will travel?

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
9. Re: Kutná Hora or Cresky Krumlov

trois?

Melbourne Australia