We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westerville, Ohio
reviews: 18
Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

My wife and I are considering taking the day train from Prague to Krakow in spring 2013. I've found plenty of helpful comments on booking the trip and finding out costs, etc.

But now I'd like to ask about safety. I'm thinking we will choose the day train because I've read that the night trains can often have drunk people who make a lot of noise. Plus, there are some reports of people trying to break into the locked compartments under cover of night.

My questions are as follows:

a. We would like to book a first-class compartment. How much room will we have? Is it two bunk beds even if it is a day train? Seats by the window as well?

b. Is there enough room to bring our luggage (four large hard-sided suitcases) with us into the compartment? Will we be asked to stow our luggage out of our sight somewhere (underneath the train)?

c. Can the compartment be locked by us from the outside if we decide to go for a walk to the restaurant?

d. We're willing to pay extra for additional privacy and security, any options besides first-class?

Thank you so much.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 7
1. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

"I've read that the night trains can often have drunk people who make a lot of noise. Plus, there are some reports of people trying to break into the locked compartments under cover of night."

Where did you read this? :) The vast majority of these stories are urban myths. This is a civilised part of the world and you can make this journey with more than a reasonable chance of reaching your destination with you and your belongings intact. Even if you go to the toilet there will not be gangs of thieves waiting in the corridors, not least because on the night train they would find it difficult to get into the sleeping car in the first place, and on the day train your fellow passengers will have better things to think about than lifting down four heavy suitcases and ransacking them :) You can lock the sleeping compartments from the inside. There is no restaurant car on the night train, but there is one on the day train as far as Katowice.

The day train has no private compartments as it is seating only, and you would have to change in Katowice at the very least. The ticket costs €39.60 and you buy it on the day in Prague.

The night train is much more civilised - it is direct, no need to change trains. Forget about first class as 'first class' means a compartment for one person and you pay a massive premium for the pleasure.

You can get a 'second class' two-person compartment which is in all respects identical to the 'first class' except there are two bunks and is a lot cheaper. The cost is €39,60 plus a supplement according to this schedule cd.cz/mezinarodni-cestovani/… (look under Poland). You can buy this when you get to Prague.

Bear in mind that you will have to move and lift your luggage yourselves (there are no porters or trolleys) so go as lightly as possible. There is space to store your luggage in the compartments if on the night train or in the overhead racks on the day train, but it is not unlimited, and the only thing under the train are the rails.

Edited: 6:21 am, February 05, 2013
Charlotte, NC
reviews: 158
2. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

From GCEK's link:

cd.cz/mezinarodni-cestovani/…

Sleeper and Couchette Tickets

Valid from 11.12.2011 until 8.12.2012 is there a new link? Update?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
3. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

It should be the same or thereabouts, but there is a correction to the price above - it is now €41.60 from Prague to Krakow.

Westerville, Ohio
4. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

Thank you all so much for the information. This will help us tremendously.

I am willing to admit that the question about people trying to break in to the compartments could be an urban myth. I believe I read that on an old TripAdvisor forum. However, the question about drunk people making noise comes from a female friend who lives in Prague and recently took a train from Bratislava to Prague and had this problem at night.

Thanks again for the help, everyone! It's so nice to be able to ask this question and get great, detailed answers.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
5. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

Here is a picture of the sleeper compartment www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_WLAB.php

this shows it in the three-berth configuration, but if there are two of you only two of the berths are folded down.

I wouldn't worry about drunk people - the soundproofing is very good.

Here is the day train from Prague to Katowice (where you change to a local train to Krakow, which can be busy) www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Westerville, Ohio
6. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

These photos are fantastic, GCEK. Just what I was looking for to get a feel for the sleeping compartments. Thank you!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

Hello, I traveled solo in night train from Prague to Krakow last night.

Read this forum about my review: tripadvisor.com/…46583629

Overall it was very comfortable and safe. Each carriage has an attendant that takes care of the passengers. Your compartment also can be double locked from inside. I am not sure if it can be locked from outside but I imagine there's nothing else to do but sleeping :-D

Westerville, Ohio
8. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

Does anyone have photos of the day train? Is everything open on the day train or are there private compartments? I'd like to see the differences between first class or second class or whatever is available on day trains from Prague to Krakow.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
9. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

Second class: www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_Bmz.php or www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_Bmz241.php - these are compartments, but are not 'private' as others are free to sit in there as well. It is very civilised, though, and you sometimes get to meet interesting people.

there are also some 'open carriages' if you wish, but IMO the compartments are nicer.

First class: www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/CZ/CD_Ampz.php but they sometimes don't even put one on as there is little demand.

You change in Katowice to a local stopping train which is second class only and not as plush as the European expresses.

10. Re: Safety Considerations for Riding Prague-to-Krakow Day Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2014