We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chertsey
reviews: 6
Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

Has anyone visited this? Is it worth it - is it liable to be open Bank Holiday Monday. Is the changing of the guard worth seeing - best vantage points and times etc ?? Sat 12 noon some form of special display. All info greatly appreciated. Thanks Ladymarian

reviews: 11
1. Re: Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

anyone can walk into the municipal house, but for guided tours you should book. They are well worth it. www.obecni-dum.cz for more details.

changing of the guard is worth seeing, but don't expect anything like on the Mall. I find it had not to crack up watching them goosestep in light blue uniforms with female scarfs, with wooden rifles and with boots that haven't seen polish for a few months. Stand outside the castle gates on Hradcany, but beware of pickpockets in the crowds whilst taking pictures

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 791
2. Re: Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

I had a tour of the Obecni dum in early March and can really recommend it.I had visited the building before for concerts but had never been in the main hall,and it is worth doing the tour just to see this.The tour times vary and it is wise to book,you can book through the website and i t cost 150ckz in March.it is worth visiting the bars just to see the decor and of course the toilets are the most spectacular in Prague.

as for the changing of the guard,it is nothing spectacular but a fun event none the less.At noon there is a brass ensemble making a noise from the windows of the courtyard,i think that is the only main difference from the other hourly changes.there are a couple of bars opposite the main barracks(up the hill a bit ) were you can sit outside with a beer abd watch the comings and goings of the Guard,without having to get involved with the crowds,I have enjoyed that much more than the Changing of the guard itself.

I believe the uniforms were designed by the wardrope mistress of the state

theatre on the orders of Vaclav Havel,can anyone confirm this?

3. Re: Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

Uniforms were designed by Havel's wife

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 791
4. Re: Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

Thanks Peb,i remember several years ago someone telling me about it,there was a lot of alcohol flowing and i thought i might have been getting a wind-up.but knowing Havels connections to the theatre i thought the wardrope mistress one was plausable.

I do think the uniforms could do with a bit of a revamp,though i found the winter uniforms they were wearing diring my last visit much nicer than the summer ones.

5. Re: Municpal House/Changing of the Guard

think the army could do with a revamp, not just the uniforms. There was a great story when they had tanks stationed outside the Radio Free Europe propoganda building at the top of Wenceslas Square being manned apparently by the elite forces. One night, someone is able to spray paint one of the tanks orange. Another night, someone nicked, if I recall correctly, one of the wheels or part of the wheels and next morning it appeared as a display in the Prague city muzeum (of course in front of all the journalists).