We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cesky Krumlov in February

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 1
Cesky Krumlov in February

Hello-

I will be in Prague and would like to visit Cesky Krumlov. From what I understand, most of the "attractions" in Krumlov are closed in Winter and also on Mondays. I was considering taking the train down on Sunday afternoon, and returning to Prague on Tuesday afternoon.

I am not concerned too much about not being able to visit the castle, monestaries, etc., in Krumlov and I am just really looking forward to experiencing the town. But, can someone tell me if the town basically shuts down on Mondays or if that refers to just the major sights? Will the shops, restaurants, etc. be open?

And, are there any suggestions re. sights that would be open and accessible in February that I should make a point of trying to see... or will it be enough to just relax in the city for a couple of days?

Thanks for any advice!

Jay

Prague
reviews: 21
1. Re: Cesky Krumlov in February

The official Cesky Krumlov webpage has really improved over the last year. Take a look at the link below;

http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/i_index.htm

Click on town and it lists a vast amount of sites in CK. Many of them have opening times so if you see something you might like, you can see if it is open when you are there. In my experience, in February the only things not open are some of the hostels and the "outside" eating facilities. Basically anything tied in with the summer trade will be closed like the canoeing etc.

Jason

www.livingprague.com

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Cesky Krumlov in February

Jason,

You do such a great sevice on this site, helping everyone with their questions. I have seen numerous posts on here regarding "unfriendly" or "unhelpful" people in Prague. I think you can find that anywhere in the world and a lot just has to do with understanding the culture and history of a city or country.

You are a great ambassador for Prague and I always look forward to reading your advice on here. Additionally, I have recently called Prague and Cesky Krumlov and the people that I spoke to could not have been more friendly and helpful.

It looks like the Castle is really the only major sight in Cesky Krumlov that is closed on Monday's as are all castles in the Czech Republic. Since they are almost all closed in February anyway, that really won't make much of a difference.

Do you know if, even though the castles are closed in February, if one can still walk up to it and see the grounds without going inside, or if they close off the accessible roads so that you can not get close to the castles?

Thanks again for all of your wonderful help!

Jay

reviews: 11
3. Re: Cesky Krumlov in February

Even though Cesky Krumlov castle is closed on Monday's the gardens above the castle are often open; all that you cannot do is walk in the castle itself. And the town of Cesky Krumlov and shops and restaurants are open; Cesky Krumlov looks great in February in the snow and the views of the castle are much better from the town than from inside the castle.

Most castles (like Cesky Krumlov) have large gates, which you can walk up to, but not inside. The exception is Prague castyle where it is a public space and you can walk round it, but not in most of the buildings

Prague
reviews: 21
4. Re: Cesky Krumlov in February

I was there last year in the summer so I wasn't paying much attention to where the gates and doors were as they were all open etc. If I find out some more info I'll post it.

Jason

Los Angeles...
5. Re: Cesky Krumlov in February

Thank you both for your wonderful advice. I am looking forward to my visit very much and am excited about everything, especially the snow!

Jay