We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

Which Czech Republic hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westford...
reviews: 18
Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

We, a family of 4, from US will be traveling to Central Europe this June and looking to buy Prague to Vienna train ticket on-line. From reading some of the posts here, I understand I can buy it from https://www.cd.cz/eshop. I checked out the website and found the tickets for CZK500 each and there is no discount for children. So the total is about CZK2000 for all 4. It is still far better than buying from Rail Europe where the same tickets were quoted for $325 in 2nd class and $472 for 1st class. Using today's exchange rate of CZK19.64/US$, Rail Europe is a whopping 3.2 times more expensive!! I found that the difference is even more outrageous for Vienna-Budapest tickets and posted it on the Vienna forum. However, I have couple of questions to the forum here for buying tickets from the Czech website:

(1) Is it true that I can not buy 1st class ticket on-line? What is the option for buying 1st class ticket? How much should it cost? Is it worth the extra expense?

(2) The website gives you an option of reserving the seats for an extra CZK307. I would have taken this option except that they also give you this warning: "On the train EC 173 Vindobona the reserved seats may not be adjacent because the reservations are created by a foreign reservation system." Given that, is it necessary to reserve the seats?

(3) The tickets must be printed on A4 size paper which is very similar to the Letter size that is widely used in US but not quite the same. Can anyone tell me if a ticket printed on U.S. Letter size paper will be accepted as valid or not? The other option is to collect the tickets at the station but they will charge CZK50 for each ticket.

Any other tips or suggestion regarding buying this ticket would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
1. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

1. Prague Vienna 1st class ticket can only be bought in the ticket office in Prague (or Czech Rep) - the cost is circa 75 euros per person, and children up to 6 can travel free, 6 - 15 half price (this is not available for online purchases)

1st class is worth to some, not to others (similar dilemma as economy v business class airfares)

2. For Vindobona, I would not buy reservation since you have no idea of the actual seats and how spread they are in the carriage, for any other trains with Czech reservation system and with 4 of you, I would buy reservation

3. Letter size US paper is perfectly fine

Westford...
2. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

Thanks Tilly41 for your quick reply. Do you think I might have problem finding seats together in 2nd class? My travel day is Friday around 14:00. Or should I buy 1st class tickets when I arrive at Prague 3 days prior?

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
3. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

Friday afternoon is likely to be a busier time to travel, there usually is somewhere to sit, although not necessarily together.

If you take 14.39 train EC279 Gustav Klimt, you can actually pick the seats you want...I think I would do that, then 2nd class should be sufficient for the 4 of you.,

Westford...
4. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

Thanks again Tilly41 for the very important information. I checked out the seats on Gustav Klimt and you are right that I can choose my seats on that train. I chose carriage #369 and seats 74-77. From the diagram, it does look like that seat 74 & 76 will be facing 75 & 77 with a table in between. Is that correct? This train does not arrive in Vienna until almost 20:00. Is there any other earlier train where I would be able to choose my seats? Thanks a million.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
5. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

yep correct, but the carriage number is 368, 369 are cubicles of 6 seats, 368 is an open carriage.

Only other train I can see is EC75 Franz Schubert...leaves Prague at 8.39, which is quite early.

If you are coming over the summer, it is quite light until circa 9 p.m. so you should be fine in Vienna, at 19.30

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
6. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

You can see interior pictures of the trains here www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/razeni.php… - first and second are almost identical, certainly not worth the whopping extra cost.

This is what carriage 369 looks like vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/A/OeBB_Bmpz-2991.php

Personally I prefer the compartments vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/A/OeBB_Bmz-2170-1.php but if you don't like your allocated seats you can always move to seats that you do like. Reservation isn't compulsory. However it can be busy between Prague and Brno on a Friday afternoon, although most people prefer to go by bus.

And it should be repeated - NEVER use Rail Europe!!!

Westford...
7. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

Hi Tilly41: I finally bought tickets on Gustav Klimt. Thanks for your information.

Hi GCEK: Thanks for posting the links for photos of different carriages. I finally chose carriage 370 with cubicles because it looks like the seats might be little wider and more comfortable.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
8. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

The Gustav Klimt is a nice train - good choice.

9. Re: Prague-Vienna Train Ticket on Rail Europe vs cd.cz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Czech Republic