We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru in 4 days.. possible?

Which Lima Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Peru in 4 days.. possible?

I have booked very cheap flights to Peru for late November for 3people (we will be there Mon-Thu 25th-28th so will have 4 full days for exploring (arriving Sunday late night, departing Friday early morning). We have never been to South America so we are not sure how much we can do / see in Peru... seems like all main attractions are far away from Lima :( Is there any chance to go to Cusco for 2 days? Is Matchu Picchu even possible to see??? Is Nazca Lines trip worth the time?? What would you recommend, if we should stay in Lima region only ???

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 43
1. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

Most things are possible; if you have and can get the right flights you could visit Machu Picchu.

Mon 25th - Arrive in Lima early and then fly to Cusco

Tue 26th - Visit Machu Picchu, night in Ollantaytambo

Wed 27th - Flight back to Lima (mid-day)

Thu 28th - Leave Lima

This would be a bit of a rushed itinerary and if you would prefer something a little more relaxed, I would consider just visiting the southern coast, maybe Nazca, Ica, Pisco, and/or Paracas.

San Francisco...
2. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

thanks Lyle! I was thinking the same, if we want to squeeze in Machu Picchu.. or at least spend the night in Cusco and enjoy 2 days there... some people do not recommend Nazca Lines that much.... I will look into Ica and Pisco.

Do you know of any cheap airlines between Lima and Cusco? I read somewhere to beware of buying the cheapest tickets because they are often reserved for locals only. Is that true?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
3. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

I'd try to see Machu Picchu. It's too bad you do not have much time, but I think you can do it.

Sunday - arrive late

Monday - take a morning flight to Cusco and bus or taxi to Ollantaytambo, see Ollantaytambo and stay the night

Tuesday - day trip to Machu Picchu, stah the night in Ollantaytambo

Wednesday - take a taxi or bus to Cusco, stopping in Pisac along the way if you want. Or go straight to Cusco and more sight seeing in Cusco. Stay the night in Cusco

Thursday - Sight see in Cusco, fly to Lima in the evening

Friday - fly home

That way you can see Machu Picchu and a bit of the major Sacred Valley and Cusco sites, even if it is a rushed.

Edited: 6:08 pm, September 18, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

Also, we flew LAN within Peru, but we got the tickets as part of a multi-city itinerary through American. The cost of the round trip from ORD-LIM was the same as adding the internal flights, so it was essentially free to add them this way. If you look through the forums, you can see some of the other airlines people have suggested. I know Star Airlines is one.

Mi Wuk Village...
5. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

If you can only see one thing...which is what you face..then Cuzco/Machu Picchu is the logical choice. Trying to fit in anything else is tough and rushed. Nazca lines are interesting but too time consuming.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 71
6. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

I agree with 103billw. If you have only one thing to do or see in Peru, it's Machu Picchu. There's nothing much in Lima and the Nazca lines are very far and troublesome to get to. Also, if you are unlucky and the weather is bad, you may get to see nothing.

My suggestion:

25 Nov Arrive in Peru, catch a flight to Cusco (I used TACA airlines)

26 Nov Acclimatize in Cusco

27 Nov Day trip to Machu Picchu

28 Nov Fly home

Edited: 9:03 pm, September 18, 2013
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 16
7. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

There is no need to acclimatize "in Cusco" prior to MP, just pay heed to the first posts. Good luck with all your plans.

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

Cusco is a lot higher than MP. If you're worried about acclimating to altitude, you'd do it the other way around.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 43
9. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

If you can add the domestic to your international flight like wes032 suggested, you may get a good rate. You should also check Star Peru and Peruvian airlines.

And yes, be cautious of the base price tickets on LAN and TACA, these airlines both offer discounted tickets for residents at the expense of the tourists, be sure to read the conditions and/or restrictions for the ticket before purchasing. If you do happen to book a resident ticket and are unable to prove you are a resident, you will be hit with an additional charge.

I also noticed that I missed a day on my previous post, with that day you could visit sites in the Sacred Valley and/or Cusco.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 157
10. Re: Peru in 4 days.. possible?

if you book your tickets on the airline websites from the US, only the allowable fares should show for LAN . They have halved their fares from what they used to cost a few years ago so it may be worth booking them with such a tight itinerary since you have a better chance of making your flight back home. Although their customer support is pretty awful for online bookings.