We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu Lodge

Which Cusco Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elk Grove Village...
reviews: 19
Machu Picchu Lodge

Is it worth the extra price to stay in the Lodge at the entrance to Machu Picchu? Have been to Machu Picchu before but only for 1/2 day; was thinking to stay overnight to be able to see sunset/sunrise. Also I read that there are hot springs in Agua Calientes? Worth the trouble to stay in town to use these? Has anyone used R. Crusoe Travel Agency, Chicago? Or PeruTourism directly?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Machu Picchu Lodge

I guess it depends on how much money you've got as the Sanctuary lodge costs a fortune. We just spent two weeks in Peru and, I'm not kidding, one night in that lodge would have equaled almost what we we spent on hotels in about 6 days elsewhere.

We stayed in Agua Calientes, got up early to be on one of the first buses up to MP, and were in the site in plenty of time to see the sunrise. Remember, it's in the mountains so you can't actually see the sunrise like you're thinking with reds and purple colors in the sky. It takes a while for the sun to get high enough in the sky to peak over the tops of the mountains. By the time it is shining on the ruins, it's 7 or 7:30 and not really sunrise anymore. We actually found it a little underwhelming, but did like getting there early before all the crowds of day trippers arrived by train.

We did not use the hot springs and booked the trip ourselves so did not use a travel agency.

Elk Grove Village...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Machu Picchu Lodge

appreciate the insight for the sunrise. Seems everyone writes about how amazing it is, but I think just being there was amazing in of itself. May I ask where else in Peru did you go? I've been to most of the usual sights & was looking for something a little bit out of the way. Thinking of staying a night in the Sacred Valley, going to the canyon....just not sure w/only 8 days there. Flying into Lima, then cruising out of Lima 8 days later. So, I'm trying to put together a side trip & wanted to see MP again.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
3. Re: Machu Picchu Lodge

Stay in the Sacred Valley, choose one of its great hotels, specially the one hat offers great service for lower cost.

They can arange for all kind of adventurous trips and out of the way sites like Tipon and the Andahuaylillas church and some adentures like the zip line and white water rafting

4. Re: Machu Picchu Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 17, 2014