We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks? No...right?

Which Rincon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 3
Sharks? No...right?

So! My better half and I leave on Saturday for P.R. and we will be spending 4 nights in Rincon. I purchased some snorkeling equipment for the trip. She has, of late, voiced concerns about sharks.

I poo-poo'd this but, in the interest of not hearing "I told you so" - what's the skinny on sharks in the Rincon snorkel-friendly areas?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
1. Re: Sharks? No...right?

I have never seen one. I have snorkeled at least a dozen times around the island. Does not mean there are not any though. I have seen rays, barracuda, and Jelly fish, Never a shark. The locals can probably give you better info. I don't even remember anything in the news about sharks.

Puerto Rico
reviews: 2
2. Re: Sharks? No...right?

odds are you wont see a shark at all... there are sharks, its the ocean they will be there, but you wont see them. itll be like any other fish, theyll stay away from you and you can feel safe.

its true what they say you know, they dont hunt humans, its not jaws, lol.

besides, i cant remember the last time i heard of a shark attack in puerto rico...

so dont worry. just relax and if it makes you feel better, dont go snorkeling all alone and dont do it right at sunrise or sunset thats when they are most active.

puerto rico
reviews: 1
3. Re: Sharks? No...right?

Hi:

Just wondering, ...is it a coincidence that you are named “Tiburon”?

Just don't be afraid if you see one, be as part of the ocean as they are, and enjoy the view, they look magnificent!

Minneapolis
4. Re: Sharks? No...right?

I think last Fall people saw some sharks by Ocean Park...it was on the news. It is very rare for this to happens. That would be my last worry!

Washington
reviews: 2
5. Re: Sharks? No...right?

There are more fatal dog bites/attacks each year than there ever have been shark attacks, so beware of Fido and enjoy the water.

San Juan
reviews: 11
6. Re: Sharks? No...right?

Well... just keep an eye while underwater... and while on land, keep watch "two legged earth sharks" LOL!

Maryland
7. Re: Sharks? No...right?

Last shark attack was in the 1920's in PR. In reading about 100 hotel comments on the El Conquistador (spelling?) I did see one complain that they were not warned about the nice family of sharks living near Palmanos(speling?) island. Just where I'll be snorkeling-lol

Joplin, MO
8. Re: Sharks? No...right?

It is relatively low risk, compared to, say Flordia, mostly because the water is clearer, and most shark bites are either provoked, (e.g. sharkfishing) or occur from the shark mistaking the human for a prey species. You want to avoid night, dawn and dusk swimming, as that's when sharks are most active, as well as swimming in murky water, or if you are having your menses. There have been 7 attacks in the last century in Puerto Rico with 2 fatalities (the last being in 1924) This puts you at much more risk of being struck by lightening.

Rincon, PR
9. Re: Sharks? No...right?

I have lived on and snorkeled Playa Rincon (Rincon Beach) for 12 years and have never seen a shark or barracuda. The things that I do see in these crystal clear waters are lovely colored tropical fish, several kinds of dolphins, manatee, sea turtles, humpback and pilot whales. The whales don't come into the snorkeling areas but you can clearly see them from the beach and it is awesome. You CAN get close enough to view and almost touch the whales by reserving a sunset whale watching cruise with either Katmandu charters or Katerina charters (located at the Rincon marina). We do not own either of these companies and are not advertising, but we are clients and do use them for excursions. We have found both to be very professional and reasonably priced charter groups.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
10. Re: Sharks? No...right?

I have seen a baracuda when snorkeling at the Luis Pena Preserve. But have not seen a Hemi Cuda.

Get answers to your questions about Rincon