We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from CBD to Williamstown

Which Williamstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lethbridge, Canada
reviews: 81
Day trip from CBD to Williamstown

We will be spending 4 months in Melbourne, it looks like there is a lot to see in Williamstown. My question is: what is the best way to get there? I see we can take a train or a ferry. But which one is the best option to see the most of the area on foot. On Wikipedia, the list of historic buildings and sites is quite large - can we see them all in one general area?

Thanks for any help.

Donna

4 replies to this topic
Docklands Melbourne
reviews: 22
1. Re: Day trip from CBD to Williamstown

The ferry is the most scenic, which takes you right into the boating harbour & village...the railway station is a little out of the way....the history of Williamstown is well worth researching

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Day trip from CBD to Williamstown

If you can manage to go on the weekend, my favorite 'day out' for visitors is to take the ferry (I like the little yellow one) from Southgate to Willy. Have a walk, eat fish and chips in the park or on the beach, or have lunch in one of the many restaurants on the Strand, have an ice cream then take the ferry to St Kilda from Gem pier (it only runs weekends). Wander round St Kilda, maybe have a coffee then either tram it back to the CBD or if you want to walk off the lunch, ice cream and coffee, walk back through Albert Park, around the lake, to Sth Melbourne and pick up a tram there or keep walking to the city.

A great day out.

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 144
3. Re: Day trip from CBD to Williamstown

A third vote for the ferry. I'd spend the whole day there, there's lots to do and see and if you are happy to walk around you'll get to see the bulk of it.

If you are unsure about distances use the "get directions" function on google maps and it will tell you how long it will take to walk from place to place and give you the route/s to get there.

Williamstown...
reviews: 14
4. Re: Day trip from CBD to Williamstown

I am sure you will enjoy a trip across to Williamstown. There are two companies that run ferries from Southbank to Gem Pier in Williamstown. The trip takes about 50 minutes. The train from Flinders street runs direct to Williamstown Railway Station on a weekday every 20 minutes . Weekends you have to change when you get to Newport. On Commonwealth Reserve there is the Information Centre open 7 days 9am - 5pm with free advice, maps and comprehensive literature about Williamstown and surrounds as well as regional Victoria.

Reply to: Day trip from CBD to Williamstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Williamstown