We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR drive in 2 days - where to stay and itinerary help

Which Lorne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 332
GOR drive in 2 days - where to stay and itinerary help

Hi! I've been reading up a bit on the Great Ocean Road drive, and our friend recommended we stay in Lorne. From what I've read it looks perfect, except for the timing. Based on our timeframe of 2 days/one night, would you be able to tell me which itinerary works better:

1. Start in Melbourne, drive to Torquay and start GOR drive towards Peterborough. Ideally we'd like to stop at Torquay, Anglesea, Lorne, Apollo Bay, and then of course spend much time by the 12 apostles and Port Campbell area. Would it make more sense to stay near here rather than back track along the coast back to lorne?

2. Start Melbourne and take the inland route to Warrnambool (or Peterborough, is it necessary to see Warrnambool?). Then drive to Port Cambell and 12 apostles and end in Lorne, stay night and rest of next morning before heading back to Melbourne.

we don't have to be back to melbourne until late at night and unfortunately this will be a saturday/sunday (just how it turned out). Nov 19/20th. Will this be schoolies time? Based on this info, how would you suggest we drive out and where to stay to maximize our time in the port campbell park area (which I heard was best, but please let me know otherwise).

Thanks in advance - and also please let me know if you think I should post this in another forum!

2 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 332
1. Re: GOR drive in 2 days - where to stay and itinerary help

OK, I just notices a similar post and reply in the melbourne forum, so i think it answered most of my questions (unless anyone suggests staying anywhere besides Port Campbell).

But can anyone comment on the dates? I am worried that we are there during the week off. We'll be there sat/sun Nov 18/19.

Thanks ,and still feel free to comment, but I did just see a detailed answer in the melbourne forum.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 34
2. Re: GOR drive in 2 days - where to stay and itinerary help

Hi,

Yes I think you will be there during schoolies week which goes from 18 November to the first week of December. In that area the main schoolies destinations will be Lorne and Torquay and to a lesser extent Apollo Bay. I don't think Port Campbell,Peterborough and Warnambool are schoolie destinations .

Reply to: GOR drive in 2 days - where to stay and itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted