We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Walk, Self guided and single!!

Which Apollo Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corsham, United...
reviews: 5
Great Ocean Walk, Self guided and single!!

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help!

I am walking the entirety of the great ocean walk starting March 29th in aid of CLIC and have raised nearly £900 already, I am trying to find the cheapest accommodation options so that I can give any left over money of my own to the charity in addition to the contributions from my friends and family.

I am travelling for 3 months either side of the walk so camping I don't think is an option as I haven't got the equipment and couldn't carry it on top of my already 20kg bag!

I was going to use this itinerary from the visitmelbourne site (Spend five nights at Elliot Ridge, Cape Otway, Johanna Beach, Ryans Den and Devils Kitchen Great Ocean Walk campsites respectively) as a rough guide (rough guide due to lack of camping equipment!) But am really struggling to find any accommodation for less than £200prpn or that doesn't require me to stay a minimum of 2 or even 3 nights which my schedule won't allow for.

Also I am a single traveller and the supplements are huge even on self guided packages!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions or plan alterations I'd be very grateful!

Thanks a lot,

Jessica

Www.bmycharity.com/greatoceanwalk

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
1. Re: Great Ocean Walk, Self guided and single!!

Assuming that you have some sort of base in Melbourne and you won't need all your 20 kg of luggage for a 5 day walk, why not go onto eBay and buy a cheap sleeping bag and 1 person tent, leave most of your stuff where you are based in Melbourne during your walk and camp out? You'll save to total cost of your tent/sleeping bag outlay in one night.

Mind you, if you are looking at places that are charging you 200GBP per night then you're probably not the camping type.

Melbourne
reviews: 5
2. Re: Great Ocean Walk, Self guided and single!!

You can hire equipment from http://www.Walk91.com.au and they could also help with transport. Bimbi Park has affordable accommodation as well. Speak to them as well. Good luck with your walk.

3. Re: Great Ocean Walk, Self guided and single!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 16, 2014