We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 3
Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on transport from Mackay airport to Airlie beach. Our flight gets in at 10.40 am and so we miss the early bus to Airlie. We don't really want to wait for the second one and also prob. don't want to rent a car as we are overnighting from Perth so likely to be too tired for figuring out foreign roads ;-)

Does anyone know how much a taxi might cost from Mackay to Airlie and if there are any taxi companies that would do a good rate?

Many thanks!

B

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
1. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Mackay is approx 150kms.....2hrs drive to Airlie.

my suggestion to you if you are flying into mackay then stay at Clarion Marina waterfront hotel overnight.......fab hotel on the waterfront....slightly out of town but overlooking the marina.

Book into the hotel and then ask reception or e-mail for best direct route/direction or way to Airlie......they will organize it for you.

http://www.mackaymarinahotel.com/

2. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:04 am, March 27, 2008
Whitsundays
3. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

As for staying in Mackay, well good luck, the difference between Mackay and The Whitsundays is chalk and cheese, I know where I'd be going. cheers airlian

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 11
4. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

I wonder why you would fly to Mackay. Can you change your flight to Proserpine?

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 11
5. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Airlian, Well Mackay is close to Eungella !! One reason I guess.

Whitsundays
6. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Sorry Verdant, but your spot on. Eungella National Park and Finch Hatton Gorge must be regarded as one of our hidden treasures. About an hour to the west of Mackay and is a truly wonderful place with waterfalls fresh water swimming holes and abundant flora and fauna, including those amazing platypus's or maybe platypie, sorry not sure what the plural is, but there are plenty there, one of the few reasons that I venture south of The Whitsundays. cheers airlian

Dublin, Ireland
7. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Thanks folks, this is great info!

We really want to get ot Airlie beach the same day we arrive as we are leaving the following day on a cruise from Airlie. We were unable to get flights into Proserpine or Hamilton island as it's the 30th of Dec. and a very busy time. Speaking of which we are now having problems getting accommodation on Airlie for the night of the 30th...ah the drama. Thanks for all the info though, this is really helpful...

Buzz

Dublin, Ireland
8. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

HI Airlian,

Thanks for your tips on accommodation, I will get in touch with these guys to see if they can help for the night of the 30th,

Cheesr

Buzz

Whitsundays
9. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Ladybuzz good luck trying to get accomm. on the date you wanted. It is our busiest time of year and most accomm. houses if they are not already booked out will insist on a 4 night min. stay.

I hope the agents can help you, but I doubt it very much.

Whoever you booked your cruise through should have booked your accomm. at the same time because it will be nearly impossible to find accomm. there for the 1 night you have requested. They couldn't have been a local agent because they would have told you about the problems that you would find, I'd be going back to them and asking why they would book you on a cruise and not organise accomm. they've just taken your money without considering all of the ramifications. good luck and I hope something works aout for you. cheers airlian

Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: Transport from Mackay to Airlie Beach

Hi Airlian,

We have actually booked with a local agent, through the internet, so everything we have done has been local. Unfortunately we were not advised as to the difficulty with accommodation but I have gotten in touch with them to see if they may be able to help out, hopefully we will be able to find something.

thanks again for your help,

Buzz

Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach