We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 3
Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Hi all,

My boyf and I are flying up to Mackay on Sunday 1st May on Tiger airlines and land at 09:00. We need to get to Airlie Beach that day as early as poss and the only bus (Greyhound) that goes from Mackay to Airlie is 18:30 which is almost a 10 hour wait. Neither of us drive so we cant hire a car. I have looked at private taxi prices and they are excess of $360! Can anyone suggest another way? Are there any people who have been in the same boat and what did you do? Are there any people on that flight who might want to share a hire car?? (i'd even pay for it if someone will drive it!).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

If i cant work out some other way we'll have to hitch up, nightmare.

Jess

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Jetstar and Vigin blue fly to the Whitsundays www.jetstar.com www.virginblue.com.au

Edited: 1:48 am, March 08, 2011
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 27
2. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Most people just fly direct into Hamilton Island. If you need to go to Airlie, there's a ferry shuttle.

airliebeach
reviews: 2
3. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

What you have stated is absoslutely the only way. When people come here they either fly into Hamilton Island or they fly into Proserpine. Mackay to Airlie Beach is 150 kilometres each way. The attraction is that Tiger is cheap and I understand that, so maybe you could consider cancelling that and flying into Proserpine or Hamilton Island. You are stuck.

South Australia
reviews: 12
4. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Think Ryanair for Tiger airways!!

London
reviews: 3
5. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Thank you both but I've already paid for the Tiger flights. The Jetstar and VirginBlue are much more expensive and I'm on a budget so can't afford to throw away the flights and buy more.

I need a transport solution from Mackay.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Jesse

Whitsundays
6. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

Hi Jesse,

Unfortunately, that's the downside of flying into Mackay, when you want to go to the Whitsundays, and if you don't drive you are at the mercy of limited public transport options. There is another bus, Premier, but it only departs at 7am from MKY - Airlie.

There is a company called Airlie to Anywhere who might be able to help, although they tend to only do group bookings. www.airlietoanywhere.com.au/transfers.php

The alternative is to enjoy Mackay for the day and wait for the later bus.

Sorry we can't be of more help!

7. Re: Mackay to Airlie Beach - transport hell! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 20, 2012