We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Hi all,

My partner and I are in our mid 20's and are looking for an affordable 7-8 night holiday, and have decided on staying at Airlie Beach.

We love snorkeling and would like to do a snorkel cruise to different locations, any good suggestions on snorkel focused cruises?

We also love doing Kayaking and would love to do it around the crystal clear waters, are there any kayaking cruises that cater to this?

Also I have read there are good bush walks near Airlie Beach, is this true? We prefer self guided with a map.

Thanks for your help!

Whitsundays
reviews: 4
11. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

I would book a standard transfer over to the island instead of a day trip... it should work out cheaper (the day trips tend to add a meal in which you will pay for)... BYO a picnic (+ drinks) and check out the timetables before you go.. have fun:)

Sydney
12. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

So here's our itinerary so far:

Day 1: Airlie Beach + surrounds

Day 2: Mantaray Day Cruise

Day 3: Bushwalk Airlie Beach

Day 4: South Molle Island picnic/bushwalk

Day 5: Salty Dogs Day Kayak tour

Day 6,7: We're leaving open for anything.

We're still not sure what to do those last 2 days, but I'm sure we'll find something fun to do. Anything else you guys would recommend? Perhaps a day cruise that doesn't take you to the popular spots? Are there whales at that time of the year?

Whitsundays
13. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Yes there are Whales at that time of the year... they come up here to have their babies before swimming back home to Dad in the Antartic... they are amazing creatures and in June you should be able to see some either on the day cruise or at the look out on South Molle...

Mantaray is a small company that goes a bit off the track yet you are still seeing all the highlights at the right times when certain locations are not to busy...

Another day trip that concentrates a bit on snorkeling which goes to Blue Pearl Bay is a sailing trip called Illusions (they take small numbers on a Catamaran)... you will only be going to one place where as Mantaray gets to a few but then Mantaray is a motor boat and Illusions sails... your plan looks pretty good the only other day trip I would suggest is Seaflight with Cruise Whitsundays that goes to the outer reef.. which is a bit different to the fringing reef around the islands

Sydney
14. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for the suggestions, we had a fantastic trip!

Airlie Beach is a great little town to stay in, and day tripping was a perfect way to see the different islands.

Evenings and mornings were a little chilly, but during the day it was perfect. The water is a little cold too so I'd suggest a wetsuit, but otherwise we loved it. Thanks again!

canterbury
15. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Can't think what you are going to do for 7 days at AB! We were there for 2 nights and that was sufficient. Just enough time to go out for a day trip to the Islands.

Far better places for beaches/ walks etc in QLD that AB.

Whitsundays
16. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Different strokes for different folks... myself personally have never seen a better beach in Australia or N.Z then Whitehaven...

Whitsundays
17. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

P.S: You will not see much of AB or the Whitsundays with one day trip...

Sydney
18. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

I have to say Whitehaven beach is the best beach I have been to, the sand is so soft it's unbelievable!

And I agree, a day for all the islands is not enough, as they were very different from each other (although one day per island is enough to see it's sights).

Perth
reviews: 9
19. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

Okuni, sounds like you had a great holiday. Where did you stay at Airlie Beach?

Sydney
20. Re: Airlie Beach need suggestions please

We stayed at sunlit waters studio apartments. Highly recommended, as it is cheap, clean and quiet, with a great view as it's on top of a hill (although it's abit of a steep walk but nothing drastic).

It's a 2 minute walk into town and a 10 minute walk to Abel Point Marina.