We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef tour with children

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 12
Reef tour with children

Hi we are heading up to Palm Cove in September and are looking for a reef tour that will be suitable for children between the ages of 3 and 9. Any suggestions?

Australia
reviews: 60
1. Re: Reef tour with children

We recently went on Quicksilver out of Port Douglas while staying in Palm Cove, excellent day out, the boat had plenty of families with children the same ages as yours....the boat moors against a huge pontoon which was perfect for us, it is a larger boat so more people on board but we found it didn't feel over crowded as some were snorkelling, some were in the semi sub, others were diving, some even stayed on the boat....There's another trip from Port Douglas that goes to the low isles, this is also popular with families with small children as its quicker to get there and you can actually get off the boat once there..

Can't help with trips from Cairns...

sydney
reviews: 12
2. Re: Reef tour with children

Thanks for your reply. There are so many choices.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 91
3. Re: Reef tour with children

wavelength would be my choice. Not as crowded and a smaller boat. I have done both and personally would give Quicksilver a wide berth.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Reef tour with children

I just had a look at the feedback on trip advisor - Wavelength is number 3 and quicksilver is 25.

Australia
reviews: 60
5. Re: Reef tour with children

Did you read the part were they have a 3 year old??? Not doubting wavelengths a great trip but the op was after a reef tour suitable for children, not unless wavelength now go to a pontoon and have an underwater viewing chamber or a semi sub that may keep the 3 year old interested for at least 2.5 to 3 hours....

Edited: 6:06 am, July 22, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Reef tour with children

hard one when you have children of different ages. Our son was only 6 at the time and spent all the time in the water swimming with his dad. Yes I did miss the 3 year old, only saw the 9. After going with both on different occasions, one with and one without a child I would still go for wavelength anyway

Edited: 8:57 am, July 22, 2013
Cairns
reviews: 32
7. Re: Reef tour with children

Personally I agree that with the young children usually a better day is had by all with a larger boat and a fixed pontoon. Quicksilver from Port Douglas or Reef Magic from Cairns. Both have large fixed pontoons and lots of other things to add variety for young children like underwater observatories glass bottom boats and semi subs small safety enclosures where little ones can swim and lots of comfortable soft seating where they can lie down on the way home and sleep. You could also consider Great Adventures from Cairns that has two hours on Green Island before heading to the reef as young children usually love the island with its beach and shady wooden walkways. Enjoy your family holiday

cairns
8. Re: Reef tour with children

Hi youre gonna love any boat you go on because the reef is awesome and so is Cairns :) We have taken our family on many reef trips since they were small because it's our favourite thing to do with visting family and friends. This could be a bit long winded but if interested heres my reviews as a Dad who loves the reef. My kids were older than 3 but I think if you can get a nice calm day any boat ride would be ok. Most have cold cut food, its a vehicle on water so expect bumps, everyone offers a glass bottom boat and the best part is, a reef day is exhausting for all, my kids fall asleep on the trip back every time. excuse spelling and grammar please lol

In my experience Great Adventures( Good staff and big boat, took forever to get to Green Island though zzzzz zzzzz but the kids loved the glass bottom boat and the wildlife stuff, Green Island food n drink cost a truckload though/pontoon option was pretty nice) , Quicksilver out of cairns( not a fav, I found it crowded, got hot waiting in line for the glass bottom boat, had to fight for a shady spot on deck and with recent stories of people being left behind at sea I felt nervous being in a crowd lol but i can be over paranoid sometimes :p ) Passions ( Just me and my daughter went on this one, was ok but nothing special, prob more geared for young people because I was 28 and I felt old and out of shape hmf ) , Ocean Free ( took my 6yr old on this sail boat and she loved it she got her very own marine biologist for the day to explain and show her everything while dragging her around the reef on a livesaver-not sure they still do this but was great because I could enjoy the day with her and relax too) Ocean Freedom ( almost same experience as Ocean Free but on a medium size boat - took 4 kids ranging from 5 to 11- no marine biologist but the kids got dragged around by a staff member then we hopped in a small boat and went to a small sand island) Reef Encounter ( sleep over boat, if i could afford to do this boat every Spring I totally would, private rooms were lush, food was lush, some of the best reefs Ive ever seen, night diving was amazing and the crew were hillarious-only downer is the price but its worth it. Theyre the main ones we had memorable experiences on... Hope yah have fun .........

checkout kenylee83 on youtube for a couple of our reef trips, excuse the glee music haha

omg think I got carried away :)

9. Re: Reef tour with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014