We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to visit Palm Cove in off season

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Best month to visit Palm Cove in off season

I am able to visit Palm Cove anytime between April to end June or October to end March for 5 days. When can we expect the best weather during these periods. I would love to do a boat trip to the Great Barrier Reef for snorkling.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Cairns, Palm Cove
reviews: 28
1. Re: Best month to visit Palm Cove in off season

Have a look at the BOM statistics bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_031011.shtml.

October to March/April is stinger season and quite hot/humid. It's that typical tropical weather where the humidity builds all day then you get rain in the afternoon/evening. All of the reef boats offer stinger suits, which also protect you from the sun, so this won't stop you going on a reef trip.

June is really nice. The weather is mild but it is the beginning of peak season with the mid-year school holidays. The downside is that the wind can pick up, making it choppy on the water, which can affect your experience and visibility while on the reef. Of the three or four times we've been up there in June/July we've only missed out on going to the reef once due to extremely high winds - all boats were cancelled. The other times, no weather hitches. The other thing to note about the cooler months is that very few of the resort pools are heated, so it's a bit cool for pool swimming. You tend not to notice too much out on the reef though...plenty of other distractions.

Probably the best trip we've had in recent years was in February a few years back. It was super hot and humid and there was lots of rain but that meant that the rainforest was at it's very lushest and Barron Falls was actually in full flow too, which was quite amazing. Also had a great time out on the reef - good visibility and a welcome cool-down from the heat of the day. We did get drenched a couple of times coming home from dinner but it added to the fun of it.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Best month to visit Palm Cove in off season

I've just returned from Australia (in Palm Cove for 5 days) and I was told, by the locals, that April is the best time to visit Palm Cove.

My son and I rented lycra suits to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef; didn't bother us a bit.

You do have to watch out for jellyfish in the waters in Palm Cove. We swam in the designated swimming area, which by the way, was 29 degrees (water temp.) on our first day.

3. Re: Best month to visit Palm Cove in off season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2014