We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 7
5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

We are going to Palm Cove in October and are staying at the Angsana Resort. We will be taking our 18month son with us as well.

Can anyone please give me some ideas on activities to do up there? Also, are there any tours to the reefs etc that could include an 18mo? I was thinking Green Island seemed pretty family friendly. We will have a hire car so can easily get around.

This is the first time we have ever holidayed with a child so any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
1. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Hi tugga_oz,

First thing, obviously you have booked your accommodation, is there flexability to change? With a young one of that age I would have recommended staying at either Cairns or Port Dougals. Staying at these two places you will have a better option to walk around the towns with a stroller and do some shopping for food or just general items, dining and just general walking around, when sick of driving. Don't get me wrong,my wife and I love and stay PC every time, as there's less people and oh so much quieter. But there's not a lot to do if just wanting to walk around a town, as my wife likes.

Most attractions around FNQ are reasonable in their access for familys including ones with real youngens. Like Kuranda train and return by gondola, crocodile viewing attractions. Up on the table lands there are some good walks to waterfalls, lakes and small towns, you could drive up to the Daintree rainforest etc. Green Island is a good option for you all.

A web site that might help -

cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns-for-kids.php

cairnsdining.com/search/…family-friendly

Hopefully someone with young kids will jump on to this thread and will be able to point you in a more enlightened direction.

I hope this helps as its been awhile for me :o)

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 11:22 pm, July 30, 2012
Darwin, Australia
reviews: 70
2. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Pc is small and not much actually there other than restaurants, hotels and the beach.

In saying that however, we have taken our kids all the way from 6 months upwards to FNQ and mostly everything is doable.

Kuranda trip on train up and sky rail back is great. Take a stroller for sleeps.

Reef trips are fine for that age. Probably the bigger operators like Quicksilver I thinbk may be better as their boats are larger. Choose one which has a pontoon on the reef. We put our kids in the water when we snorkelled at that age- in a lifevest and then an inflatable ring that they sat in for a while. Its not for everyone, but ours enjoyed it. They will most probably find the water cold though and a stinger suit is a must even out of stinger season, in case there are sea lice.

Daintree is a nice day or overnight trip. Lots of boardwalks to do and some good for strollers. I would personally take a kid backpack as you can then go anywhere. Allow a whole day for the daintree. There is a ferry crossing over the river as well. You can aslo do croc spotting and river tours on the daintree river.

Daintree discovery centre is well worth a trip.

Cape Tribu;ation is where most tourists stop- also worth the drive. Most hire companies will not let you take the cars on to the Bloomfield track, so you will have to turn around here.

In Port Douglas there is a place where you can breakfast with the birds which is nice for small kids.

Port D is about 45m mins further up a very scenic road hugging te coast.

I like Port Douglas better as there is more choice of beach/bay side and a bit more laid back. Its nice for a wander around there. There is also a little train that runs from the marina to the Mirage resort and back again which may be fun for the little one.

But really at that age, most stuff isnt going to be ailmed at the kids. Plenty of pool time will surely wear them out!

Plenty of little books or activity stuff for when you are out at restaurants etc

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Rob T - our accomodation in Palm Cove is free, so we won't be moving it!

I know its a lot quieter there, that's no problem. Will definitely look into some of the activities mentioned, they sounds good.

Thanks

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
4. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

You can't beat free accommodation, have a great trip tugga_oz

New Zealand
5. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Have you booked your rental car yet? We strongly reccomend palm cove car rental. A smaller but local car hire firm. They came and picked us up from our accomodation even though we only had a 1 day hire from them.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 2
6. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Stayed in Palm Cove in June with our 9 month old. First vacation with baby but my second visit to Palm Cove absolutely love it! Perfect for families as it quiet but still has nice beach and family friendly restaurants all within walking distance. Cairns is a 20 minute drive and Port Douglas is 45 mins drive. If your there on a Sunday I would recommend taking a drive out to Port Douglas to see the markets as they have some really nice stuff and you can make a day of it and see Port Douglas as well.

We went out to Green island from Cairns Marina on the "Big Cat Green island" and took a stroller. It’s only a 45 min boat trip and the island is great for kids. I would also suggest having dinner at the Yorkeys Knob Boat club as its a 10-15 min drive from palm cove and is extremely family friendly has a playground, not expensive and has amazing views of the ocean. Palm Cove is fantastic as it is close to everything so you have a variety of places to go. Have a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Free accommodation - what's not to love:) - you'll have a great holiday.

< Kuranda trip on train up and sky rail back is great. Take a stroller for sleeps.> A nice relaxing day - there are butterflys and aussie native animals that your child will enjoy, as well as the market, galleries, plenty of eateries, lovely scenery/walks, etc. Only about half hour drive from PC. You can spend all day at Kuranda, or just a few hours if you want a 'shorter day'.

With 5 days you can do as much or as little as you like - play it by ear and see how your child is coping with all the activity.

Day 1 - arrive, settle in, pool, beach, generally relax, maybe check out Cairns.

Days 2, 3 & 4 - Do the day trips ie Port Douglas/Daintree, Kuranda and Reef Cruise.

Day 5 - pool, beach, generally relax - get ready for trip home.

<Plenty of little books or activity stuff for when you are out at restaurants> Have a 'special' bag of 'restaurant amusements' packed, and only use it when you're dining out so your child doesn't get bored with it. Include crayons and paper/colouring books too. Don't include really noisy toys as they can annoy other diners.

Have a great holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 615
8. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

Booking a rental car will give heaps of opportunity for exploring the region without having to do tours.

Kuranda/ Port Douglas / Cape Tribulation etc.etc

9. Re: 5 days in Palm Cove - first time holiday as parents..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 28, 2013