We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for self-drive- Mossman/Daintree/Cape trib?

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cranford, New Jersey
reviews: 4
Itinerary for self-drive- Mossman/Daintree/Cape trib?

My fiancee and I will be stationed in Palm Cove for 5 nights and are interested in renting a car one day and doing a self-drive to Mossman Gorge, Daintree and Cape Tribulation. Can anyone give me a sample itinerary/route for this? Or give me some specific sites we should include? We would most likely leave in the AM and want to stop and have lunch somewhere so any suggestions on where to eat would be great too. Also about how long is each leg driving?

Thanks!

Australia
1. Re: Itinerary for self-drive- Mossman/Daintree/Cape trib?

Expect an all day outing, if you really want to see as much as possible.

Try and leave Palm Cove by no later than 8.30 am and head straight to Mossman Gorge ( about an hour's drive)and if you'd like,do the Kuku Yalangi Dreamtime walk, it is well worth it for a self driver to participate in,as it will give you an insight into this great rainforest.Allow 1 and half to 2 hours for this, then drive the little distance to Mossman Gorge and do the short walk, about 20 minutes.Alternatively, go to Mossman Gorge and do the 2 kms walk youself,then head to the Daintree for a river cruise,another half an hour's drive(if you'd like the chance of seeing crocs and birdlife on the river, otherwise just keep going)There are plenty of good river boat operators.

Cross the Daintree river by cable ferry,around $20 for the ferry and drive towards Cape Tribulation.

Your accommodation house, should be able to give you a free map of this area,marking all the points of interest. If they don't have one,you should be able to get one at Kuku Yulangi or even from the river boat operators.

Some places to stop at

Alexandra lookout

The Daintree Discovery Centre,also good for a self driver, if you haven't done Kuku Yulangi

Jindalba boardwalk,(a nice walk through the rainforest with some plaques placed in front of rainforest trees with information regarding the specie.)

Cafe by the sea at Thornton Beach for lunch or a little way further

Dragonfly restaurant forlunch.

Cape Tribulation Beach

And on the way back,stop in at the Daintree Ice Cream Factory.

Once you cross the river it's hard to predict how long it will take as it depends on how long and how many stops you make, but as I mentioned,expect an all day outing, especially, if you take in Kuku Yulangi or the Discovery centre.

If you want to do the river cruise(which takes aprrox. an hour)you may need to do this on your way back, or perhaps do the boardwalk on the way back,otherwise lunch will be at around 3pm

From your previous posts, you will be visitng here mid May, so the area certainly won't be crowded with heaps of buses and tour coaches,so you should be able to get in everywhere relatively easy.

Cranford, New Jersey
reviews: 4
2. Re: Itinerary for self-drive- Mossman/Daintree/Cape trib?

We have actually decided to stay in Port Douglas instead so will be leaving from there. Thank you for all your help! This is great information