We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tour companies that go out to the reef for snorkling and diving, I am looking at going on one that goes to a few different spots(for the day) not just to a pontoon, any ideas would be appreiciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 53
1. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

I can recommend TUSA Dive. They pick different spots for diving every day and always go to better spots than the big reef operators. They're also small boats so you really get great service.

reviews: 55
2. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

I totally agree www.tusadive.com are just great. Small numbers (25) on new lovely boats, and they visit dive and snorkel sights that are less visited than the larger commercial operators in the area. They will include hotel pick ups from the Northern Beaches area where you are staying. Enjoy your day!

Sydney
3. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Have you been to Cape Trib (mackay reef) ? I heard that that is the place to snorkel/dive as opposed to leaving from Port douglas or cairns??

London, UK
reviews: 2
4. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Avoid Poseidon Reef Tours. Although very friendly and knowledgable staff, they cram far too many people on the boat. I just went with them a few weeks ago and it was not comfortable. Not enough seats so people had to sit every and anywhere or stand. There were a few people that suffered from motion sickness and had nowhere to escape to be ill. We all suffered because of this and it was rather inhumane. Definitely go with a boat that takes 35 people or less if it is an option!

5. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Hi-- I recommend Ocean Free ( if you don't get seasick). Its a sailboat, and they spend the day on the reef moored just off Green Island, and they will shuttle you back and forth from the boat to the island. The staff were funny and inviting, and took a personal interest in getting to know everyone on board. They do intro and advanced dives, and were very knowledgeable. They only take about 30 people so everybody has a chance to get to know each other After spending the day out snorkling, diving and whatnot, you have a sunset sail back to Cairns, with champagne and pastries.

It was my favorite day of my vacation down under and that is saying alot.

Napier, New Zealand
reviews: 94
6. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Would also recommend Ocean free, we had a great day with them last week and did our very first dive!! The sailing aspect is great too. It cost $90 + the dive $70. Snorkelling was included and so were lunch and wine and cheese on the way back.... only 28 on the trip!

woodlands
reviews: 3
7. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Any diving/ snorkelling trips that departs from Palm Cove? Preferably near Outrigger area.

reviews: 55
8. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

Sorry, no dive operators depart directly from Palm Cove. Most will offer complimentary pick up from PC hotels, but check as some will surcharge for 'northern beaches hotels'. You will have to decide if you depart from a Cairns based or Port Douglas based operation.

Yorkshire, England
9. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

We went with Haba from PD and they were great. They have a new boat (twin hull) so not so bumpy if you get sea sick! They took us to two dive spots that were right on the outer reef, no one else around so it was just our boat. The staff were excellent and took note of all anyone with problems, non swimmers etc.

i think the max they took was 50 , which was good as there was plenty of places to sit etc. Food good and we had a brilliant time.(and I'm not best at sea!)Would highly recommend them.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
10. Re: Reef snorkling/diving trips any recommendations??

My family took Wavelength out of PD to outer reef and they were great. Specialize in snorkel and did a great job accomodating both 17 year old and 7 year old. 3 stops and were all spectacular. No one around us. Small boat - max 20 people. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.