We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

Kendal, United...
reviews: 17
Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

Hi Folks

Any info about this village? We are staying for 10 days in Oct and do not want to hire a car

Kent
reviews: 5
1. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

Sorry - only just seen your post. How did your visit go? I am interested as going to the village over the new year period.

Kendal, United...
2. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

you really need a car as the bus service is very poor and taxis really expensive

there are a couple of village shops with wilting fruit & veg but the best shops are outside the village by a roundabout and too far to walk.... everything is expensive, even the village restaurants - we were paying around £40 per night for indifferent meals, including the worst moussaka I have ever had.... the only cheap item is 'village wine'... even though there is a village bank it does not have an ATM machine - the nearest is at the supermarket by the roundabout but that does not take Visa.... we had difficulty finding ATMs that took Visa - they were nearly all Mastercard ..... and we nearly ran out of cash... try hiring your car in advance - it can save a lot of hassle... hope this helps

Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 44
3. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

Kalavassos is an Agrotourism village so it's not expected to have all the mod cons of a tourist resort. It's all about getting back to the local lifestyle.

Agrotourism villages are noted to be away from the madding crowd....

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 85
4. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

And what a bueatiful area it is and Tochini, my advice to anyone staying in these lovely villages not wishing to eat out is, stock up with supplies in the nearest town before you get there. Julie

Kendal, United...
5. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

I understand this as I live in a rural village myself with less amenities than Kalavasos. The Kalavasos local lifestyle relies heavily on car use due to the poor public transport system, so there are also parking problems in the narrow streets. The village shops were struggling as the locals used their cars to shop at the supermarket. I researched the bus timetables but there was no information that the buses had been re routed due to the ongoing road works in the village. The local website featured the bank but did not say that the ATM had been removed. It is useful to know these things in advance. The bank staff told us that the local ATMs only took Mastercard which is not helpful when you're running out of cash and have no car. My comments were meant to help other visitors avoid these pitfalls which spoil your holiday.

Kendal, United...
6. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

In order to stock up you need a car so it is best to hire one - that is my advice.... we did not have a car and it caused us difficulty because the bus service was limited.

Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 44
7. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

I understand where you are coming from Burnside as without a car you would most certainly be stuck if you were in Kalavasos.

Definitely, in any of the Agrotourism villages (in fact, almost any village in Cyprus) you will find a car is pretty much a necessity as the public transport (unless you are on the main seafront in any of our holiday resorts) is quite dire.

Having been to Malta a number of times and experienced their fantastic bus service - Cyprus has a lot of catching up to do.

I live in what was a largish village around 12km on the outskirts of Limassol town but now more of a suburb and we have a good transport service with buses ending at the terminus in the Old Town of Limassol. We have every kind of shop, takeaway, 2 banks, at least half a dozen butchers shops, 1 big supermarket and a number of mini-markets all within 15 mins (max) walking distance.

If I recall correctly, the nearest main supermarket to Kalavasos will be the Orphanides that's just off the highway with a Macdonald's too is the best place to stock up on your shopping. But again, you're quite captive without transport for evening entertainment.

Generally, people who choose the outlying villages are those who have been to Cyprus in the past and have decided to opt on a more rural and "back to nature" type holiday. But, they are usually the ones to take on a hire car as they've already experienced the tourist resorts, done the excursions and are looking for something completely different.

I think you just have to put it down to experience and certainly it will give you more of an insight if you choose a similar holiday again. Possibly one of the more "tourist" villages would allow this kind of holiday such as: Omodos, Platres or Germasogeia where you will find a fairly frequent bus service - but as a word of warning if you take a day out, never aim to take the last bus back to the village as there's a good chance it may not turn up!

8. Re: Kontoyiannis house Kalavasos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, January 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Larnaka District