We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dorset
reviews: 46
Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

Hello. I would just like to ask whether or not the El Portillo is visited by lots of extra guests over the weekend. I understand that in hotels around POP and also at the Grand Paradise Samana there are some issues over the numbers of locals who descend at the weekend to enjoy all the hotel's facilities. Does this happen at the El Portillo?

Of course, I have no objection to sharing the hotel with anyone (and have done this happily in Cuba before). However, I haven't noticed any mention of it in any reviews of the El Portillo, so just thought I would ask.

Bedford
reviews: 42
1. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

We were wary of this as I had seen all those threads about the phenomenon, but did not notice any such thing at EP in August. However we arrived at the last weekend of the DR school holidays, I don't know what it was like earlier, but as you say, no one complains in the EP reviews. The pool did get a bit crowded but not especially at weekends and those in it seemed to be mainly assorted Europeans and N Americans not local weekending people. No food grabbing witnessed either.

england
reviews: 21
2. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

There were a few whilst we were there.. But no issues with numbers or bad behaviour. In fact for the 2 weeks we were there the only bad behaviour we saw was from a small group of North Americans.

Otherwise it was a very well mannered bunch...

Mississauga, Canada
reviews: 14
3. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

We've visited the EL P so far in January, February, April and November & never encountered "local visitors". Sometimes I've wished to see the locals visiting, if only to see what others complain about (as in POP or GP, etc.- I've never witnessed it so can't have an opinion lol)

But I do wonder, if Dominicans visited our lovely Ontario, Canada beaches, would they be annoyed at the number of Ontarians lolling about in the local sand? Do the locals behave badly (POP/GP etc) or do tourists just not like it? Always been curious about this..not trying to get anyone's back up.

I think you will love the EL P regardless! Safe travels. C.

england
reviews: 59
4. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

With you on this Carol - must admit we dont get a huge number of non brit people enjoying the beaches of the east coast of england however, I think that one of the issues when on holiday seems to be when you have you little patch established mon - thurs and then all of a sudden there are lots of new people using the facilities and space becomes a premium.

I really like international hotels so you get to meet lots of different and new people, just back from a holiday where we were 2 of 8 brits in a hotel full of Russian guests.. different language entirely and some communication issues, together with cultural differences, there is no word in russian for queue but it added a new dimension to the holiday.

one of the reasons that we return to DR is because of the people but in any environment large groups tend to draw attention. One of the issues reported in POP is not just the numbers but it seems, the hotels lack of preparation in the supply of enough food staff and beach beds,

UK
reviews: 12
5. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

I wouldn't worry - most Dominicans I know go to better hotels than this one.

Bedford
6. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

Which would they be Domingo? Recommendations welcome.

england
7. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

Domingo obviously doesn't know any of the Dominicans that go to the Riu's in PP....:-)

No way are the Riu's "better hotels" than the EP. lol

UK
reviews: 12
8. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

"Which would they be Domingo? Recommendations welcome". Sorry it is a secret - they wouldn't want to have the hotel invaded by Daily Mail reading British tourists who didn't know how to dance. But they could at least complain about it on this forum

Bedford
9. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

That's a shame, Domingo. Not much of a Daily M fan, but I would have enjoyed lying on one of your secret beaches, re-reading "The Feast of the Goat", with which I am sure you are familar, and contemplating the country's chequered history.

england
10. Re: Weekend visitors at the El Portillo?

:-)