We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much spends?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southampton
reviews: 5
how much spends?

after looking through to forum it looks like cash would be best to take. here's a tricky question - how much do we take for a fortnight? it will be mostly for tipping,the el limon falls trip and a few bits and bobs to bring home.decided to take usd. can you only get pesos from atms,and are there any near the portillo?

thanks

Bedford
reviews: 50
11. Re: how much spends?

Carol's and Sparky's suggestions sound good, especially the tips about getting to the falls before the crowds. I've noticed quite a few people saying exactly that, it certainly makes sense.

england
reviews: 21
12. Re: how much spends?

PS regarding the ATM.. There is another one at the El Portillo. It's in the "staff area".. Better rate of exchange as well. They don't mind you using it (as long as you don't empty it on payday ) lol

Exchange rate at reception was 53 to the £.. In Las Terrenas we got 62 & on one occaision 66..

Edited: 1:47 pm, October 04, 2013
southampton
reviews: 5
13. Re: how much spends?

hi thanks for your replies

carol - would Flora tours take a credit card(this was our plan for trips to save our cash)?

Sparky - did you go with Jose Miguel, and if so can you give me an idea of the cost? i presume he would want USD, and it would be helpful to know how much so we could make sure we take enough with us as i have read that to exchange to dollars in the DR is expensive.

england
14. Re: how much spends?

We were talking about it over lunch in El Limon.. We arranged to meet him away from the hotel..Always try to mingle..

The wife and I didn't do it as we're not into walking that much.. Prefer motorised transport.

Didn't discuss price but he's bound to be cheaper. And living in the village will give him first hand knowledge of the area. Dollars or Pesos...Either would do.

He's a nice young guy.. Not too pushy..I'm a fair judge of character & I reckon he's OK..

Have a chat with him on the beach. You'll be able to judge for yourselves..

Tell him the bald Englishman with the missing front tooth sent you.. If he's wearing an England baseball cap it's the one I gave him :-)

Edited: 6:26 pm, October 04, 2013
Mississauga, Canada
reviews: 18
15. Re: how much spends?

Lardy I pmd you with FLora's website - you can email them & ask about payment options & perhaps prebook your trip. I must say Sparky's idea sounds like a plan, especially if you're staying at EL P. I would advise to go only with the guy Sparky recommends though - Friends of ours went "on their own" with a guide from EL LImon & it cost them an arm & a leg!

england
16. Re: how much spends?

I reckon no more than $30/$40...Plus guagua fares for yourselves & Jose.. Arrange to meet him at the gate early.

You could get a taxi but that will drastically increase the price..You could always break the return journey and stop for lunch at Plaza del Chivo in El Limon. Then get another guagua to the hotel...It would be fun..

southampton, england
reviews: 3
17. Re: how much spends?

Hi, we came back yesterday. We took £200 USD and brought 100 back.

We used it just for tips and were so relaxed at the hotel never did any trips but we will go back again and do some at a less hot time of year!

We met a canadian couple and they did the falls with a local recommended to them. They climbed by foot got there before the crowds had a lovely lunch at the plaza de chiva on the way back, said it was the best meal they had eaten at that time on the holiday (and he is a chef, so more picky about good food ). They enjoyed the excercise and whole experience doing the climb and got some great pictures. Think they paid 6000 pesos.

As I think someone else mentioned if the atm out of order there is s staff atm they will direct you to that can be used.

Edited: 5:52 am, October 05, 2013
england
18. Re: how much spends?

Were there names Andrew & Karen? If so ..They were the couple we introduced to Jose and took to Plaza del Chivo..

Edited: 5:54 am, October 05, 2013
england
19. Re: how much spends?

6000 is a lot.. I'm wondering if they got a taxi there and back...Lunch at Plaza del Chivo for 4 people with drinks (more than one .. lol ) was 2000 pesos about £30..

southampton, england
reviews: 3
20. Re: how much spends?

Hi, yes it was Andy and Karen. Didnt know who they went with only that it was a recommendation so obviously you but they enjoyed it and got some great photos.

I may have got the amount wrong but i thought that was what he said the trip and meal etc cost. Maybe that was for another trip. They did quite a few before they went on to cayo levantado. I had no idea what the value of peso was so it didnt mean much to me.