We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ouray, Colorado
Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

If I arrive at 3:30 pm into Santo Domingo is it possible to take a local bus to Los Terrenas? I am afraid that it is too late to catch the last Caribe bus at 4:30, and I cannot afford the taxi's/tourist shuttles.

Also, would the local buses leave from nearby the airport?

22 replies to this topic
New York
reviews: 3
11. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

RV429, you forgot to mention how long and how much... Kidding.

I'd like to thank you and let you know that because of experts like you, for confused people like me, the travel is getting much easier!!! Thank you again.

Inella.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
12. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

I did in post #4 Inella, lol

Here's something else very helpful to read:

http://www.samanaonline.com/index.htm

New York
reviews: 3
13. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

Thank you, RV429! You are the best!!!

Inella.

ponte vedra florida
14. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

Would you recommend taxi bus to LT vs car rental inSDQ?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
15. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

Yes!

Washington
reviews: 8
16. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

Our family of 4 is trying go by bus from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas. We're thinking of taking the Caribbe bus from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo then the Las Terrenas Transporte as suggest in this thread. Is that possible, does Caribbe bus stop somewhere close the the old bus shell near the entrance of the toll road? What other options to travel from Punta Cana to LT that are not too pricey?

Thanks

JT

Fayetteville, North...
17. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

we arrive 10/13 Santo Domingo (SDQ) at 2:19 pm we are going to Bahia El Portilio in Las Terrenas. After reading the posts it looks like if our plane arrives on time, customs is not a problem we could get a taxi and make the Transporte Las Terrenas at 3:30pm, that would be nice, but if all doesn't go well we should be able to take the last Caribe tours bus that leaves the city at 4:30 and gets to the toll road at 5. First question, are both buses close together at the toll road? So I take the Caribe tours bus to Sanchez, will there be taxis at the drop off? Or do I need to ask bus driver to arrange for me (or call a taxi service, phone #?). What should I expect to pay for taxi Sanchez to the El Portilio? Thank you in advance for any help.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
18. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

jtrav, Caribe Tours does not go to Punta Cana. The bus line there is Bavaro Express. So you would take Bavaro Express to Santo Domingo and then the Transporte. This is the most cost effective option. I'm not sure if they stop at the Toll Road Entrance. Can't remember, I would think so but try a post in the PC Forum.

Andy, if you have luggage checked that 3:30 bus is tough, all would have to go real smooth and real fast. The last Caribe tours bus would work easy. At the Sanchez stop there are Taxis, agree on a price before departing. The bus drivers are all helpful as well.

Also, buy your tourist card ahead of time to make the Immigrations clearing faster. With no luggage you have a slight chance to make the 3:30, slight.

Edited: 1:29 pm, November 09, 2014
Washington
reviews: 8
19. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

RV429, Thanks for the correction. Yes, we will take Bravaro Express to SD then Transporte to LS.

JT

Santa Barbara de...
reviews: 78
20. Re: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

If everything goes right and your flight is not delayed you will make the 5 pm bus.

It sucks to get in late knowing that there are no more busses to Samana until early in the morning.

Wow, RV429 that website you posted, Samana Online, really needs to be updated. It says that El Catey AZS Samana airport is still under construction! LOL! It also says Punta Cana to Samana takes 5.5 hours and it is now only 4 hours by private taxi transfer, although admittedly, pretty expensive because of all the tolls.

Plan your trip well and you'll enjoy Samana!

Tour Samana With Terry

Edited: 5:00 pm, November 10, 2014
Reply to: Local Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted