We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spalding
reviews: 5
Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Hi All, thinking of booking for the above this year, looks promising but just have a few queries if anyone could help..

Firstly, have any vegetarians been and did you find enough options as daughter doesnt always fair to well on the food front on some previous hols.

Also the dress code, are smart jeans allowed, and can smart shorts be worn in the buffett restaurant or any other restaurants come to that.

And lastly. what sort of tours are available and what sort of prices are we talking?

Thanks in advance, really getting into the holiday mood already and havnt even booked it yet, lol

Barrie, Ontario
reviews: 3
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Hi poshrimp

I'm not a vegetarian, but in the buffet there are always a lot of veggie dishes as well as rice, potatos, fish, etc - as well as a pasta bar. In the buffet all of the foods are in their own serving pans as well. As for the restaurants, each one has their own set menu with different options to choose from.

As for the smart jeans, shorts etc - we have been 7 times to this hotel, and each time it has been different. Typically dress jeans and shorts are allowed at the buffet. The a la carte restaurants post a long pants and shirt policy, for the men, yet we have seen shorts allowed on and off. We are heading down this year again, and my husband is planning long pants for the restaurants.

Each travel chain offers tours from the hotel - El Limon (waterfall), Whale watching, ziplining, ATV'ing, jeep safari. Prices range depending on 1/2 day, full day etc. A few years back we met Terry (Tour Samana with Terry) and now we only tour with him. He is the best, and he has a wide variety of tours to choose from. You can check out his website www.toursamanawithterry.com for tours and prices. There are numerous reviews on Trip Advisor about his company as well. He lives in Samana and it is always great to see him and see his town with him. We have gone back year after year to Terry because he treats us like family and we are well taken care of.

Hope this helps you - feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Bedford
reviews: 42
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Hello Poshshrimp

To be on the safe side, I'd agree with Kathy and say take some long trousers and also agree with her about Terry's tours being the ones to go for. Maybe someone heading for El P in the next week or so can report back on the current situation regarding dress code.

I am a veggie and had absolutely no problem at all with the food.

ontario
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Anyone know what the transfer time is from the airport to the resort ? Overview says 1 1/2 hours. But have read reviews that said it was 45 minutes.

ontario
reviews: 30
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

The new toll road is 45 minutes but the old way around is 1.5 hours

ontario
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

OK, but would the West Jet transfer bus take the toll road or the scenic route ?

Spruce Grove, Canada
reviews: 75
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

A recent post confirmed Westjet now takes the toll road.

NJ
reviews: 103
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Toll road is also scenic but the old one is horrible. I would never go on this one again. We paid extra on a way back so driver will take us on a new road.

Spalding
reviews: 5
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

Kathy, Missfitts,thanks for your replies, gonna go for it and hopefully book today,x

9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 13, 2014