We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, UK
reviews: 3
Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

We are booking Casa Cava in Tankah. Mexico Any advice, local info such as good places to visit, things to do? Or good websites.

We will take our snorkel gear and sandles for the beach, which sounds as if it is sharp with the reef.

We have two kids 12 & 10 (12 already a certoified open water diver) so that will be on the agenda.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 26
1. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

Im not positive as to your location in Tankah but, if you cross the road from casa cenote you will see manatee cenote and you can swim and snorkel in that cenote. It is quite large and continues on back from the road. We just got back on the 28th and had fun there. We then walked back across the road and entered the beach area from casa cenote, walked down the beach a bit and snorkeled. My boyfriend went out much furthere than I did and he said it was amazing snorkeling, the best he's ever seen even better than our trip over to Cozumel. Have a great time. The beach was not sharp, it was beautiful to walk on.

Colorado
reviews: 5
2. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

Greetings,

After Wilma Who Knows... I know the area a bit. (before the hurricane) There are two restarunts within walking distance. The main reef is reachable with a kayak or a good swim. I am not sure if there are little bits of reef directly in front but my guess is that there is. Tulum (the town)is a short drive and there you will find groceries, restaraunts and shopping. There is in deed a cenote within walking distance from your accomidations. Tankah is quiet and wonderful. I will be staying at Cavu in 2006. (if there is anything left to stay in).

Hope this helps.

Dripping Springs...
3. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

I'm not sure if you have gone yet, but have the caretaker Isidro cook for you. We had him cook the last night. Big mistake-because he is wonderful. Next time we will have him cook every night!

Colorado
4. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

We are booked for Casa Cavu in April and will most definitely try Isidros cooking! I wanted to ask you what kinds of provisions were there in the kitchen? I am assuming just the basics. Is there a palapa on the beach or anywhere to find shade? Do they have beach chairs? The house looks wonderful.

Colorado
5. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

I forgot to ask one more question.. Does Isidro also do the dishes?? Thanks

Mississippi
6. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

How was Casa Cavu? Can either of you two posters give me a report on the house? We're staying there in July. Thank you very much!

Mississippi
7. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

I'm bumping this e-mail in an effort to get current info about Casa Cavu. Has anyone stayed there recently? I'd love to here a report on this villa. Thanks!

austin, texas
8. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

Hi -

I just booked Casa Cavu for a Marcch trip. Any information about the state of the beach, swimmability, advice would be much appreciated! We are travelling with 2-six year old children and are hoping they will be able to swim in front of the house.

Thanks!

Mississippi
9. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

We booked this home during August, 2006, and loved it. The pool is a hit with the kids, and the kayaks allow for some decent snorkeling out along the reef. I also suggest snorkeling directly out in front of Casa Cenote restaurant as that is where Manatee cenote enters the ocean. The current at the opening is quite strong, but there is a "bowl" of rock and coral there that spills out into the bay, and it's actually kind of fun to have the current push you into it. There are alot of fish hanging out under the bowl's ledges, especially at the mouth of the fresh water entrance, which also makes for interesting snorkeling.

The beach itself is hit and miss, so yes, you do need your beach shoes. Also, the water entry directly out front is not too rocky or grassy, but I do recommend going out a bit for clearer areas. Your diver will be glad to know that there is a dive shop at the Tankah Inn and I think there's also one at Casa Cenote. You might want to check out the forum at Locogringo dot com and search for other people's experiences with either of these operations.

We are also fans of going to the beach area going south along the Boca Paila raod. I think most of the places (palapa hotels) with restaurants "allow" you beach usage/parking if you'll just give them some business. As I understand it, the beaches in Mexico are generally open anyway, at least along the Federal zone, which I'm not sure what that measures. But, these are beautiful beaches and make for a nice, relaxing day trip.

P.S. Be SURE and get Isidro to cook for you at least one evening. We had him prepare meals for us 4 nights out of 7 and it was WAY worth it! It's a bit cheaper if you offer to take him into Tulum yourself to the Super San Francisco market. We had fresh lobster and fresh grouper while there, and his soupas are to DIE for!

cary, nc
reviews: 26
10. Re: Booking Casa Cavu in Tankah - Any advice

We are planning to go to Casa Cavu in June, but it looks like the house is not very shaded. Was heat a problem during your stay? I like the open, light feel of the house, but it seems like it could get quite hot if the air conditioning is not adequate. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Soliman Bay