We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dodgy car rental company at airport - Dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik-Neretva County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Dodgy car rental company at airport - Dubrovnik

This experience refers to car rental company 'VERORENT' at Dubrovnik airport:

Background: booked rental car well in advance prior to summer season by considering appropriate size for a small family (young children, plenty of luggage etc).

Upon pick up only a smaller version of car was available different to what has been booked despite complaining to the head office in Zagreb. Basically the message 'No larger car available despite early booking - take it or leave it'. Of course no use to us since it was impossible for us to accommodate a small family + belongings in to the offered car for our anticipated one way rental. Given it was high season, there was ad hoc no other car of larger size available and if so very few options to a horrendous price.

Luckily we found a family sized car for the one way rental - about 30% more expensive than our 'early booking' with VERORENT, however still considerable less than with other car rental companies. Thank you BINGO RENT!

My advice: 1) Avoid VERORENT; 2) if booking well in advance regardless of car rental company ensure that the booked car is actually available prior to arrival.

Split, Croatia
1. Re: Dodgy car rental company at airport - Dubrovnik

Unfortunately, these things and companies like this one embarras Croatian tourism. Many companies think that it doesn`t matter which room/car/boat you book as long as you get any.

Sorry to hear that you had bad experience!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
2. Re: Dodgy car rental company at airport - Dubrovnik

Yes sorry to hear about your experience and I would also avoid that company.

Pegnitz, Germany
reviews: 20
3. Re: Dodgy car rental company at airport - Dubrovnik

Its not possible to leave reviews for car rental companies on TripAdvisor, which would be helpful given the plethora of "local" (as opposed to global) car rental companies one is likely to encounter at spots like Croatia.

I, too, have my dodgy story to tell about VERO RENT. I am of Croatian descent myself and I speak the language, too. Yet still my experience with VERO was very negative. We rented a car through Auto Europe (a car rental broker) for 7 days to pay 270 EUR at Split Airport. When we arrived, the car we were presented with had completely worn-out tyres and was in an entirely unsafe condition for driving Croatian roads. We were told there was no other vehicle so we were fortunate enough to be able to cancel the reservation and opt for another local rental company at only slightly more expensive rates.

AVOID VERO RENT at all cost. The company does not even have office booths at the Croatian airports. Their local agent runs around the airport with rental forms and a mobile credit card reader. Their vehicles are run for too long and no investments in service or mechanic iinspections is made. Sure, their rates are cheaper but you should not shy away from paying 30% more to get a proper vehicle and avoid the hassle of having to find yourself an alternative locally (its holidays after all).

4. Re: Dodgy car rental company at airport - Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 31, 2014