We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eater In Nelson

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N. California
reviews: 1
Eater In Nelson

We have recently added 3 days to our trip (Yes!) and will spend it in the Nelson area. We decided to stay in the area because there is so much to see and our flight home leaves from Nelson. We are a bit concerned that it's over Easter holiday, April 4th -7th. I hear that most shops and restaurants will be closed on Easter Sunday and Monday. Is this true? Will some be open? We'd just like to know if we can get meals or go to the grocery store. We will have a car and can explore those two days, such as Abel Tasman NP. Then maybe spend Tues/Weds in Nelson and Picton.

Any suggestions other than Picton, Abel Tasman and Nelson to explore? Thanks so much?

We will have traveled up from Athol, Manapouri, Wanaka, Fox Glacier, Punakaiki and Murchison area primarily fly fishing and site seeing. I had written in previously and received great advice. Thanks again in advance.

Nelson
11. Re: Eater In Nelson

Hi There

I think "Eater in Nelson" is great! leave it. You seem to have received some great advice already. Legally, supermarkets etc, are not allowed to open on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but service stations are open, and they sell basic grocery items, confectionary, batteries, etc. On the Monday shops can leaglly open, but some don't.

I have done some ringing around local restaurants. Hopgoods on Trafalgar Street (which someone has recommended), will be closed on Friday and Sunday, as will many other restaurants. If they do open on these days, they may charge a 20% surcharge. The are required to display a notice saying this, but it pays to ask before you order.

The Saturday Morning Market in Nelson City is very good - particiularly at Easter time, so well worth going - especially if you are "eaters"! Also there will be an Easter Fair on Easter Sunday which is very good. mapua.school.nz/EasterFair/easterfair.html

Also visit Mapua Wharf which is fun. The Smokehouse Cafe on the wharf is open all Easter weekend.

Some other restaurants open on these days are:

The Boatshed Cafe on Nelson's Waterfront, http://www.boatshedcafe.co.nz/

Cafe Affair on Trafalgar Street (surcharge on Fri and Mon)

Not all restaurants will be open but there will be enough that you won't go hungry.

Bon Apetite, Eater in Nelson!

Enjoy Nelson.

N. California
reviews: 1
12. Re: Eater In Nelson

Thanks for the additional insight. I have printed your comments and will bring with me. Sounds like enough places will be open so we can at least get a bite to eat. Too bad we won't be arriving in Nelson until Easter Sunday. We are going to miss the Saturday market, but the Easter Fair you mentioned sounds fun.

13. Re: Eater In Nelson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 15, 2010