We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

Which Hervey Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
reviews: 48
Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

Thank you to all those people who advised me on what to do around Hervey Bay... here is a review from Lady Elliot Island... hopefull this will help other people decide whether to go to Lady Elliot or not..

I stayed in an eco hut on Lady Elliot Island for two nights in Oct 09, at the very start of my holiday to Oz, having never dived or snorkelled in my life before. The plane flight from Hervey Bay to the island was 40 min long, and i managed to catch a few glimpses of some humpback whales en route.

On arrival I was kitted out with all the snorkelling stuff... and made my way to my eco hut which just had two bunk beds in it.. The toilet block was 20 yards away...

Having never snorkelled or dived before it took me a little time to get the technique correct, and I was able to practice in the lagoon which is only snorkellable two hours either side of high water... but when i did i was very impressed... a whole new underwater world opened up for me...

The next day I went on a glass bottom boat trip, and snorkelled off the boat, wow very clear waters, more fish, turtles etc etc... then in the afternoon I went on an organised snorkel trip, where one of the instrcutors led us around, and I spotted more turtles, lots of fish, sharks, rays etc etc... it really was brilliant, and over so fast...and was one of those moments in your life where you realise how exciting nature really is, and it certainly brought a tear or two to my eyes.

I had caught the snorkelling bug, and a whole new world had just been opened up for me.. later on that day.. I snorkelled over by the lighthouse by myself... watch out for the currents here, and saw more turtles and underwater life... it really was fasinating...

The food, I had breakfast and evening meal, was really good, and catered for all tastes, and you could help yourself to as much as you'd like.. OK the eco hut was very basic, the bed itself wasn't that brilliant at all...but I certianly didn't mind... and the outside small pool is more used for people learning to dive than by anyone else..

The Island is small and you can walk around it in an hour, there is not a beach here, but shingly/stoney/gravely sand which goes in to the sea.

Nightlife is spent having an evening meal, a few drinks, and then an early night, ready for the next days activities, as don't forget there are only around 100 people who can stay on this island overnight..

I was sitting outside the bar looking out to sea, and saw a couple humpbacks breaching just past the lagoon, so keep your eyes open... as you never know what you may see... and yes the birds were a pain in the neck through the night... but if you want convention, concrete, a lovely pool, sandy beaches, entertainment go to Hamilton Island yuck..., if you want nature, calmness, an eco retreat then Lady Elliot Island is the answer...

Lady Elliot certainly opened up my eyes.. and yes I think its a gem, a real true coral cay with all its natural beauty and underwater treasures....and yes I was so sad to leave this island, the 40 min flight back to Hervey Bay gave me lots of time to reflect on a wonderful time I spent there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
1. Re: Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing your detailed Trip Report, I also think Lady Elliot is fab too especially for seeing some wonderful marine life. Its very similar to Lady Musgrave Island which has only camping sites available and absolutely no facilities and a real gem to visit.

Heron island is another wonderful island to snorkel from - you would also enjoy it seeing you loved Lady Elliott.

Cheers,

EM.

so cal
reviews: 14
2. Re: Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

Loved your report Dave. Ellemay I have read your Br - Cairnes driving report, and had originally planned to go to Lady Musgrave and Lady Elliot, after reading and posting a question it seems they are so similiar I will see the same kinds of things on both islands. Am now consdering staying on LE for 2 nights 3days by taking the early am departure flight and the late return flight..seems more relaxing but is there enough to do there? We will be there in Feb so I think there will be turtle hatchings also. thank you

Hervey Bay...
3. Re: Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

Re Lady Elliot .. / Musgrave...

Both islands awesome... but the reef and sea life for snorkelling / diving much better on Lady Elliot if you are only planning a day trip to Musgrave.. The drop off on Lady Musgrave is an awesome snorkel... but if you do the day trip, they only let you snorkel in the lagoon... which is a bit disappointing...

Lady Elliot in feb will be good .. yes, turtles hatching as well..if you are into snorkelling / diving you will really have a ball... but not much else to do there ...

if you are staying 2 nights, it is unlikely you will be able to get the first and last flights... they are reserved for day trippers and guests only staying 1 night... they can put you on a waiting list... but it is unlikely you will get on these flights.. so for 2 nights you will be over on the 1040 and back on the 2pm...

Rob

so cal
reviews: 14
4. Re: Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

Thank you Rob for the information, boo to not getting the primo flights but oh well. Did you stay one night?, and if so was that enough to see and experience it all. We are very experienced snorkelers, and I am wanting to see the turtles so figure 2 nights give us better chances with that. Looking at the garden rooms, your advice please. Thanks

Hervey Bay...
5. Re: Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

Hi Less,

I've been to Lady Elliot many times... was just there 2 weeks ago (anchored off the island on my boat - didn't stay at the resort.. but inspected all the facilities and room renovations)...

If you are experienced snorkellers... then i would stay 2 nights... would be a disaster if you got there and there was a strong northerly for that day which stuffs up the best snorkelling side..

Garden rooms are exactly same as reef rooms.... only they are in the middle of the "compound" ... and not right on the shore line... main diff really is the reef would be cooler with more breeze...

The Eco huts are basic, but much cheaper... but are V V hot in the summer months

Rob

6. Re: Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, May 15, 2010