We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station - left luggage?

Which Kaikoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 11
Train Station - left luggage?

Hello all,

I have searched the web and the forums and have not found the answer to my question. I will be stopping in Kaikoura for one night. The hotel I have booked is a jaunt from the train station; however my train on to Christchurch does not depart until 3:20 in the afternoon the next day. While waiting for the train, I would like to wander the town, do something interesting but not be weighted down by my small suitcase. I know most hotels will hold your bags after check out, but as mentioned - my place isn’t close enough to the train station to be convenient. All this to say - can anyone tell me if the Kaikoura train station has a left luggage area or lockers?

Thanks so much!

Kerry

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 45
1. Re: Train Station - left luggage?

Hello Kerry :)

I have no idea if the train station has lockers but all luggage needs to be checked in; you can only take a carry-on into the train with you, so why don't you just check your bag early?

Hope this helps, happy travels :)

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 11
2. Re: Train Station - left luggage?

Well my luggage is a carry on size suitcase, but it would make sense to check it. Wish I'd thought of that! I'm going to say I was over thinking it. Wow. I'm almost embarrassed!

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 135
3. Re: Train Station - left luggage?

The station at kaikoura will not be staffed. It is just a "set down/pick up point. I doubt that they will have left luggage facilities. I don't think you 'check it" as such but hand it to the guard in the luggage van. You could check with the Whale Watch people and see if they have lockers. The same building serves as the start point for their trips. You hotel may have a courtesy van, check with them.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 45
4. Re: Train Station - left luggage?

cheers Mike, I was afraid that might be the situation.

Swindon, Wiltshire
reviews: 24
5. Re: Train Station - left luggage?

Hi Kerry,

if you are going whale watching, they do have lockers there where you can leave your luggage.

We, like you, will be on foot and catching the 3.28pm train to Christchurch so this is perfect as it's right by the station.

Good luck!

Anne Marie

6. Re: Train Station - left luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 04, 2011