We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picton/Blenheim

Which Greymouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 74
Picton/Blenheim

Hi - Im travelling to NZ in May and was looking to travel from Christchurch to Picton/Blenheim by the Trans Coastal and also from Greymouth to Christchurch on the Trans Alpine. To avoid doing the return trips on these trains I was looking to travel from Picton/Blenheim to Greymouth or Visa versa. Is there any way to do this by public transport/private bus or do I need to hire a car. Thanks.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
1. Re: Picton/Blenheim

Hello TB :)

yes, you can bus from Picton to Greymouth - you may have to do it in two days with a stop in Nelson - you can Google for a bus timetable.

The Tranzalpine train is best in the snow and there won't be any in May, so the road will be the far more scenic choice. You can bus if you like. However I suggest you instead rent a car and drive. If you, I would drive;

1 Arthur's Pass to Punakaiki,

2 drive to Nelson

3 explore Abel Tasman National Park?

4 drive Queen Charlotte Drive to Picton

5 wine tour?

6 train to Chch

If short on time then drive Arthur's Pass to the West Coast, turn right towards Picton.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Picton/Blenheim

Thanks for that information.

Was checking a road book. Are you able to tell me what the road is like going Picton/Blenheim/Renwich/St Arnaud/Murchison/Reefton/Greymouth

Unfortunately we are restricted on time we only have 6 days in the south island, and want to see as much as we can. This is why we opted to train from Christchurch to Picton and then Greymouth to Christchurch or visa versa.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
3. Re: Picton/Blenheim

The road is fine, though it would be a shame to miss the lovely coastline from Westport down to Greymouth. And it would only add a few kms to your trip.

Also I wouldn't end the day in Greymouth. Hokitika or Punakaiki each have more to offer.

Safe travels :)

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Picton/Blenheim

THanks I will take your suggestions into consideration. THanks Heaps for the help.

Take Care.

5. Re: Picton/Blenheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 16, 2013