We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 WEEKs in Whangarei

Which Whangarei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lahaina, Hawaii
reviews: 10
2 WEEKs in Whangarei

we do home exchanges and we have been approached by a family in whangarei to do an exchange with them. is there enough to do in the area for 2 weeks? we will habe a car and we can occasionally stay overnight elsewhere if we want to do a short excursion. or would aukland be a better home base?

we wnjoy outdoor and cultural activities.

many thanks in advance.

Edited: 11:59 am, May 11, 2013
2 replies to this topic
Whangarei, Northland
Destination Expert
for Auckland Central, Whangarei
reviews: 28
1. Re: 2 WEEKs in Whangarei

Hi there

As a Whangarei local, I would say there is definitely enough to do in Whangarei area and surrounds for 2 weeks.

There are all sorts of great things to do in the immediate area around Whangarei + some great slightly longer day trips to other parts of Northland eg. Bay of Islands, Waipoua Forest, Waipu & Mangawhai.

If you would like to drop me a private message I would be very happy to give you a whole load of much more detailled info about things to do.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
reviews: 47
2. Re: 2 WEEKs in Whangarei

As a former resident of Whangarei, I second what has been said but with one reservation - this is something which will be much more appealing to do in summer than in winter. But otherwise Whangarei is in many ways better than Auckland as a base, as it puts you more central for Northland: you'll be able to go south to explore Matakana and the various East Coast spots as well as the Kaipara Harbour (with the Matakohe museum being a major cultural treat in that area, and the museum in Dargaville being quite a pleasant thing to do as well). If you like remote coastal areas, head south from Dargaville to my childhood home.

Then of course you have the entirety of the Far North to explore - Hokianga, Bay of Islands, up to the Cape - and Whangarei itself can be a nice place, depending on exactly where your home exchange is.

Reply to: 2 WEEKs in Whangarei
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted