We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Which Thames hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lowerhutt NZ
reviews: 6
christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Hi just wondering and hoping that maybe someone out there knows if a restaurant or such is open and taking bookings for xmas day lunch in Tames or nearby, Auckland a bit too far away. So far only KFC !! Dont mind cost.

Auckland Region...
1. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

I had a look around. I assume you mean Thames in the Thames-Coromandel region?

There's lots of places in Auckland that are open. I searched specifically around the Thames-Coromandel region and couldn't find much info except for a handful of place.

My advice is

* Don't fret. There's bound to be something open for food on that day. Hopefully your accommodation provider will have a list.

* If you don't wish to depend on your accomodation provder, try emailing the visitor info centre at Thames-coromandel to ask. info can be found here http://www.thamesinfo.co.nz/isite.html If there aren't that many nice restaurants open, may also pay to book now so you aren't disappointed.

* Your username implies you are in lower hutt? Perhaps you are driving from hutt on the day? or flying to auckland before driving to thames?

If flying to auckkland then driving from there, you will have more choices in Auckland. If driving up from Wlg, perhaps somewhere along the way like Hamilton (there's hotels like Novotel & Skycity, Valentines restaurant at the very least). The herald article below has a couple of Hamilton restaurants in it (I think).

This is what I found via search (but they aren't in Thames - requires a bit of a drive):

1. Koru at Rapaura

Menumania listing says they are open on public holidays

menumania.co.nz/restaurants/koru-at-rapaura-…

http://www.rapaura.com/koru.html

Hours here lists it as closing at 4pm

www.eatat.co.nz/coromandel/index.php…

2. Salt restaurant in Whitianga

www.whitiangahotel.co.nz/salt-restaurant.html

3. Tairua Landing Restaurant & Cafe

Read the comments before you go. They aren't too complimentary

menumania.co.nz/restaurants/tairua-landing-r…

www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=8144

I think you should also inquire at the following

* Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort Pauanui http://www.pukapark.co.nz/

(can't see what' in the site - it may have the info)

Auckland options:

Recently there's been 2 articles in the Herald on who is open for christmas

* List with restaurants all over NZ nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm…

* List of 4 auckland restaurants nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm…

* List of Heritage hotel offerings on Christmas day (incl Heritage in Auckland, Rotorua, Christhurch, Hamner Springs, & Queenstown) heritagehotels.co.nz/Christmas-Functions-and…

* Millennium Hotels christmas day menu

http://www.millenniumhotels.co.nz/christmas/

* Annabelles, Valentines, Wellingtons at waipuna lodge etc listed in guidetoauckland.co.nz/Categories/Restaurants…

Auckland Christmas day Options

* Hyatt Regency Auckland times.co.nz/cms/…dine_out_for_christmas.php

* Aubergine aubergine.co.nz/aubergine-takapuna-christmas…

* Snowplanet Auckland www.snowplanet.co.nz/restaurant-and-bar/

* Mecca at the Viaduct http://www.meccacafe.com/viaduct.htm

* Waitakere Estate has a christmas day menu on their website waitakereestate.co.nz/Presentation/…

* Happy Days - A buffet place in Auckland: wr2eat.co.nz/restaurants/restaurant_133xmas.… (never been so no idea what it is like)

* If you fancy chinese food, Penny City (Howick), Grand Park & Grand Harbour are open for Yum Cha lunch or chinese dinner. Grand Park & Grand Harbour are charging 10% public holiday surcharge.

* There's probably quite a few ethnic eateries in Auckland that will be open.

* In the past Denny's restaurants are open too (Manukau, Hobson St, CBD, etc).

Good Luck

New Zealand
reviews: 8
2. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Woah NZLin, for a first posting you have done one heck of alot of research for the OP, I hope they appreciate it.

MooshlowerhuttNZ, I would research and book anything you find that is open on the day asap. Thames is not that big and from experience most small towns I've visited during Christmas Day have very few places open; they are still of the belief that families come first and give their staff and themselves the day off. In my opinion it wouldn't be feasible to travel to the eastern side of the Coromandel Peninsula(as suggested on NZlin's list) for Xmas dinner.

Auckland Region...
3. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Dinner? the post topic says "lunch". Thames is really at the spot where you acn go east or west if you wish to travel up the peninsula for a meal.

Anyway book early as all the good places will be snapped up early 8)

regards

lin

New Zealand
reviews: 8
4. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Dinner, lunch same thing on Christmas day! And I wouldn't travel anywhere further than local for Christmas Dinner/Lunch especially if it's a hot summer's day. You need to relax and enjoy your surroundings not be on the road for over an hour either way to get to Coromandel's east coast especially if you're wanting a nice wine with your "lunch"

Auckland Region...
5. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Actually the day I'd avoid driving long distance is on Boxing day. Driving on Christmas day is unavoidable for me as I tend to breakfast in Balmoral, lunch in Howick and dinner in Hamilton.

It may be nice to drive to Hahei or visit Cathedral cove for a picnic lunch or for a soak in hot water beach. Do not drive in certain parts after dark if you are not confident of driving at night. Most roads out of towns won't be lit.

Not for Christmas day:

Visit Colenso Cafe if you happen to drive in the direction of Hahei/Tairua/Whitianga from Thames, Colenso cafe is usually a nice cafe to visit. I've always enjoyed my visits there. It is enough for me just to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea/coffee and a piece of cake there. I don't think I've been there for a meal yet.

menumania.co.nz/restaurants/colenso-country-…

Here's a youtube vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0l_Rehp5hc

lowerhutt NZ
reviews: 6
6. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Thanks heaps. I certainly do appreciate everyones input! This site is amazing, one big family. Im all set for xmas in Thames now ! Merry Xmas and a happy new year to all!

Auckland Region...
7. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

Btw my guess is you are likely to be driving to the Coromandel from Auckland or perhaps somewhere south. Anyway if you turn off State Highway 1 onto State Highway 2 on your way to Thames, please please please be careful of that road along SH2 especially around Mangatawhiri. There are quite a few fatal road accidents along SH2 between the turnoff at Thames. Hard to explain where the particular bad stretch is but there's one or two bad ones.

If you happen to travel during one of the peak travel periods the traffic will be slow. please be patient. Don't overtake unless you are very very sure it is safe.

Here's an example of some of the efforts to mitigate travel delays

…govt.nz/about/media/releases/1008/news.html

Scroll through the various news articles found at

http://www.google.com/search?q=SH2+accident+mangatawhiri

Have fun on your holiday!

8. Re: christmas day lunch in Thames for 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, June 16, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Thames